PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to a 6.5

JeepSJ
02-10-2004, 00:26
The engine is on the way. It is a 1997 with 17K miles. Before I drop it in, I'm want to go through it and install some upgrades. The electronics have all been removed and it is outfitted with a 4911. For sure, I'm going to replace front and rear main seals - I know the engine doesn't have high mileage, but as long as things are easily accessible I figure that I might as well do it. A gear drive is also on my list of must do.

Now for the should I or shouldn't I parts. I plan to pull the oil pan and check all the bearing clearances. While I am there, would it be beneficial to install one of the girdle kits? The camshaft is another question - should I go with the performance cam from Avant (is that the Crane?). Are any of you using the cam and how do you like it? Finally, should I sleeve the water passages in the heads? Pulling the heads really isn't a big deal while it is on the stand, and it would give me an excuse to install better head gaskets and some ARP studs.

Additional info - I'm planning to equip this with a MHI TE06H turbo and 3.5" exhaust. I also plan to eventually install an intercooler and crank up the boost.

Thanks everyone.

C.K. Piquup
02-10-2004, 04:07
You`re on the right track.I would definitely do a girdle on the bottom-end of the`97 block.Most say"splaying"the cap bolts is a hi-rpm benefit,I`d talk to JK(KennedyDiesel)about that.I know you don`t want to do a tear-down,but 18:1 pistons is the best thing you can do for these engines.It`s what they should be.We`d all have alot less to talk about if they were.

cruzer
02-10-2004, 06:20
Port match intake and exhuast ports. On the intake side there are spots where you will remove approx 1/8" of material. Also do the upper intake as on Kennedy's web page. I did mine before the heads went to the shop for valve grind & water passage sleeves. While you're checking bottom end tolerances, look for cracks around and near the bolt holes and along the webbing. I looked into splaying the mains but was too expensive and I considered the girdle, but decided my 599 blk had 125k miles on it w/no cracks. It's really a gamble. IIRC The 97 blk is weaker though.

JeepSJ
02-10-2004, 11:22
So, what I am hearing is 'yes' on the girdle, and 'yes' on the sleeves in the cooling passages. What about the cam? Anyone?

Also, in regards to lowering the compression, I have seen a couple posts refer to some thicker head gaskets. I haven't done any research on that yet. Anyone have any info on the thicker gaskets?

cruzer
02-10-2004, 13:50
IIRC stk GM gaskets were 0.030 and felpro's were 0.040.I think 0.010 more in case you have to deck the blk. People have talked about thicker gaskets
but they could never come up w/the part# or the mfgr. If you're considering lower compression then I'd get the pistons.

What are you putting this engine in? How are you going to use the vehicle?

JeepSJ
02-10-2004, 17:36
The engine is going into my Waggy. The most I plan to tow is my CJ on a trailer, which weighs about 6k. All in, Waggy + gear + CJ + trailer will be about 12K pounds. This will also be my daily driver.

rjschoolcraft
02-10-2004, 17:46
Kennedy's 18:1 pistons would be my choice (if and when I get to do something like that) because his are dished tops. There is no exposed cylinder wall when the piston is at top dead center. Keeps carbon from building up on the cylinder walls as badly.

JeepSJ
02-11-2004, 10:04
While I agree that 18:1 pistons would be preferred, I'm not really interested in completely tearing apart the engine to replace the pistons. It only has 17,000 miles on it. All I want to do is open it up and check the internals, add some bolt-on upgrades, and get it installed.

No responses about the cam? 11,000+ members and no one is using an aftermarket cam? :confused:

C.K. Piquup
02-12-2004, 17:58
I had asked about cams here once.Dr Lee explained the clearances are so close,there is virtually no room for alteration.

C.K. Piquup
02-12-2004, 18:37
As I was printing my post,I was recalling seeing talk about an aftermarket cam here.I was just at Dr Lee`s spot and saw it again.Crane has a regrind with higher lift/standard timing.