PDA

View Full Version : 9gs, 11gs, and 60gs?

patrick m.
02-09-2004, 20:01
ok guys i need a refresher course.
This weekend, i found myself with some free time, so i decided to check out my glow plugs. I have been having a slight problem with cold starts, this is not a new problem, but something i would like to improve. Another guy at work has a 6.5 truck (same year, same everything) i drove his truck a couple of times to help him figure out a roaring noise. I found that his truck starts very quickly, with NO SMOKE, and no eng miss AT ALL. My truck, cranks for several seconds, runs rough for several seconds and smokes for several seconds.
I removed "a/c delco 9g" plugs, and installed some "autolite" 11g replacements (i had them laying around). and it is worse.
My pump is the latest model, couldnt be more than four years old, but at least 3.5 years.
the injectors are probably original
the truck runs like a champ after about one minute. plenty of power, easily outrun the other truck i mentioned, and most gas trucks that have stepped-up :D
im about to order JK's high-pop injectors, and some "60gs", but i fear the pump is getting weak.
what do you guys think?
also, the other truck has about 4 months on his new pump

im at 183,000 miles

dieseldummy
02-09-2004, 21:30
There is a fabled tale the the autolite brand is not up to specs with delco products. I have heard several people say that autolite 11g's and delco 11g's are not comparable, the delco's are superior. I would for sure put in a set of 60g's or quick heats from JK, and injectors can never hurt. ;) I don't think that your pump could be all that weak if it is only 3.5 years old, but i guess stranger things have happened. I always go by the theory, start with the cheapest and finish with the most expensive, worst case scenario you end up changing it all and will be good for many years to come, or best case, the plugs alone will fix your delima.
Goodluck,
Justin

Kidd
02-10-2004, 17:13
My 98 came with 9g's, started quick, worked for 3 years before they burned out. Replaced with
11g's, didn't start as well, burned out in 18 months. Put in 60g's , starts just like the 9g's did. Hope this helps. Rest of truck is all factory original, 135k on it now.
K.D.

ucdavis
02-10-2004, 18:06
I had 9Gs & changed them out for JK's and noticed no difference. Didn't expect any @ my mileage, but wanted the "expandable" 9G design outa there.
At 183K, those injectors don't owe you a thing. They done there time. If the pump is way fresher than the injectors, it could be dumping more fuel past weak injectors than a good start requires & screwing up the combustion.
Could also be glow controller related. Does the SES light flicker on/off after a start? If yes (and maybe regardless) check codes for a 29, indicting trouble on that circuit (could be bad controller, or bad connection/ground)

patrick m.
02-11-2004, 16:30
thanks fellas, i installed a set of "60gs" just before i left from work tonight, we'll see how it does in the morning.
i've been planning on getting a set of high pops from JK, i guess now i can move that project to the top of the list :D

Bulls99Sub
02-13-2004, 07:37
What is the best way to replace the glow plug for the number 8 cylinder, anyone know any tricks? It took me 20 minutes to replace the plugs on the drivers side and three hours to replace the first three on the passenger side. Starts much better now but I sure would like to finish the job.

Thanks,

Bull

patrick m.
02-13-2004, 19:13
i got to #8 from under the truck. It wasnt too bad on a lift, but if you have to lay on the floor, you will probably have to position yourself with your feet out the driver's side, so your hand is in the right position to grab the plug.
the worst plug for me was #6, as i had to remove the down pipe completely.
(oh, and i did this twice, as i installed a set of "autolite" plugs that i already had,,,,,then replaced those with a set of "60gs").
Which i should add that the "60gs" have helped, but still does not start as it should, so a set of "high pop" injectors are on the way :D