PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin?

Beedee
02-09-2004, 14:38
First off, as a newbie, thanks for all the great information that I have been getting off this site.
I bought a used 98 2500 Silverado last August, finally got the truck of my dreams. Truck only has 90,000 kilometers on it. Dark metalic blue with silver, looks good. Put some nice B. F. Goodrich tires on it, other then that, it's stock.
Thinking about perking it up a bit, sooooo where would you guys start, if you were going to do it all over again?
I live in Canada so don't know if everthing is avalible up here. :D

ucdavis
02-09-2004, 15:01
Gauges, definitely. EGT & boost. You can see how your rig reacts from the gauge reading while you drive. Then you can decide where your next bang for the buck will come. Knowledge is power (not More Power, but... well you you get it).

Dvldog 8793
02-09-2004, 15:07
Howdy
There are ALLOT of posts on this subject if you de a search you should be able to find some good info.
As to what I would do and in what order?
1st- Fix the pump/FSD cooling problems(many posts on this subject also
2cnd- Make sure your brakes are up to snuff, no good having more power if you can't stop! :D
3rd- Gauges, you need to see what your doing, EGT and boost for sure.
4th- Clean "un-adjusted" tongue.gif down-pipe from turbo
5th- Better air filter and clean up the air path JK sells UNI brand filter. Seems like an excellent product
6th- Open up the rest of the exhaust. 3.5" WIDE OPEN was my choice :D
7th- clean up the intake, possibly get rid of EGR
8th- boost control
9th- better injectors
10th- intercooler (I'm still saving for mine! :D )

Other things to consider:
Use ALL synthetic lubes for everything in the truck! They cost more but seem to be worth it. (this should open up ALLOT controversy ;) )
If you ever have to change your pump, upgrade to the phaser timing gears and change your timing. Many posts on this also.
These are just some of the things I've done and ALL of them I learned from this board! ;)
I don't know how much hp my truck makes but it is always enough but I always need MORE tongue.gif
With my Gear-vendor I normally get around 20-22mpg at 65-70MPH. this is relative to me and my driving habits.
I am a light fanatic, I REALLY like to see where I'm going. There are many upgrades for the lights on your truck. Check them out.
Hope this helps and have fun!
POWER IS JUST A QUESTION OF MONEY, HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND!
L8r
Conley

Beedee
02-10-2004, 01:29
Thanks guys, Love the diesel pages, great stuff.
Makes sense what you put down and the order Dvldog, just one question to throw to the masses, the air filter and air box look plenty big on the 98, is there still a problem with the stock system? :confused:

Beedee
02-10-2004, 01:32
oops, missed a part.
I agree 100 % with synthetic except for engine oil.

Dvldog 8793
02-10-2004, 06:34
Howdy
If you go to Kennedy Diesel web sight he does a good job of explaining the air box problems. All I did was replace the filter with the UNI for better flow and longer life.
I agree with the engine oil, the only time I run syn in the block is dead winter when the temps a around 20-30 below :D
L8r
Conley