PDA

View Full Version : RV Trailer question

JohnC
11-01-2023, 17:54
A friend of mine has recently acquired a 2023 Shasta (Forest River) 21CK. He wants to drain the water system for the winter but no one seems to be able to tell him where the water pump is. (Hard to fathom, but that's what he's telling me...) I'm betting someone here knows the answer...

TIA
John

arveetek
11-02-2023, 08:23
Unfortunately, that is not unusual. Every single RV floorplan has the water pump located in a different spot. Someone would have to be very familiar with that particular model in order to know where the water pump is. For example, we have about 150 different floorplans on our dealership's lot; that's mean I would have to remember where the water pump is located for 150 different models.

What I usually tell folks is to turn the water pump on and allow it run (either with pumping water or just air) and then listen for it. It can be located underneath a kitchen cabinet, inside a storage compartment behind a panel, under the bed, etc. Sometimes you'll have to remove some sort of access panel to get to it.

Casey

JohnC
11-02-2023, 11:21
Thanks. Now it's a little more easy for me to understand. He tried that and told me it sounded like it was behind the wall in the shower. Does that make any sense?

arveetek
11-02-2023, 12:11
Thanks. Now it's a little more easy for me to understand. He tried that and told me it sounded like it was behind the wall in the shower. Does that make any sense?

No, it wouldn't be there. He may be hearing the PEX water lines vibrating and hitting the wall from the pulsing of the water pump. He'll have to keep looking.

Another tip: it should be located somewhat close to the fresh water tank. Look for where the fresh water tank (or tank fill at least) is located, and then branch out from there.

Casey

JohnC
11-02-2023, 12:18
Thanks!

FKummert
11-28-2023, 16:25
I would like to make a little comment, it is not good to run pumps dry, it will shorten the life of the impeller.

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2023, 19:19
I would like to make a little comment, it is not good to run pumps dry, it will shorten the life of the impeller.

RV fresh water pumps are cam-driven diaphragm type. No impeller, and can be run dry indefinitely. They have no moving parts within water/liquid contact.

arveetek
11-29-2023, 06:49
RV fresh water pumps are cam-driven diaphragm type. No impeller, and can be run dry indefinitely. They have no moving parts within water/liquid contact.

That is correct!

https://www.pentair.com/en-us/products/residential/water-supply-disposal/recreational-vehicle/shurflo-revolution-4008-series-by-pass-pump.html?queryID=7e453346819fcdd10b8e7bc5fbb5094c&objectID=https://www.pentair.com/en-us/products/residential/water-supply-disposal/recreational-vehicle/shurflo-revolution-4008-series-by-pass-pump.html&indexName=prod_pentair_products

"Can run dry without damage."

Casey

FKummert
11-29-2023, 16:30
I stand corrected, but my old camper has a pump with impeller.