PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure gauge w. electrical sender?

steve-r
02-06-2004, 20:41
with the concern of bringing fuel into the cab, do any of the gauge vendors make a FP gauge that has an electical sender . ie. tap in the T at the IP, mount the electrical sender under the hood, and just bring the wire into the cab/gauge.

i noticed autometer had one for diesels, and then they withdrew it from the diesel market, posting a notice on their site. i've searched a long list of other gauge sites, but no joy...all seem to be mechanical.

i could always install the gauge under the hood, but then can't I see it on the road at speed.

or do most of you just install in the cab and don't worry about it. appreciate your advice. thx.

AndyL
02-07-2004, 05:14
I have also been looking for one of these, something that would be mounted in my pillar with the others.

AndyL
02-07-2004, 05:36
Is there a particular reason we can't use an electric oil pressure sensor as a fuel pressure sensor?

FinSub97
02-07-2004, 07:44
I have been looking for the same thing. After a short search I came up with this (http://hp.autometer.com/instruction_download/instructions/571.pdf).

I presume that'll do it, or what do you think?

Another gauge I am about to install is some sort of temperature meter measuring FSD temps. One idea would be glueing pt100 or pt1000 next to the interface between FSD and Cooler and interpret the resistance either by digital or analog meter.
That part would be Ferris-the-Five-Year-Old type of work, but the difficult part would be in finding a suitable (=analog and pretty enough) meter to be installed to two pod pillar. The meter should be able to convert a voltage drop through pt100 into respective temp. Any ideas where to find one?

There is always digital displays, but they are so darned ugly...
jari

FinSub97
02-07-2004, 08:22
Just found some more. Check this (http://www.egauges.com/eg_typeI.asp?Type=Electric_Fuel_Pressure&Cart=) .

a5150nut
02-07-2004, 11:18
Fuel gages use an isolator in the line. Fuel on the engine side and light oil on the gage side. This keeps fuel out of the cab. Check gage listings for "isolatore".

Jim H.
02-07-2004, 19:42
I got mine from Nordskog. It has been in for nearly a year with no problems. I put a tee in the line from the fuel filter to the injection pump. The sending unit is mounted behind the driver's side battery.

moedog
02-08-2004, 18:30
GOTCHA COVERED.
RIVER CITY TURBO HAS THEM THAT SEND TO YOUR GAUGE WITHOUT FUEL. I BOUGHT A THREE POD, 2 1/8TH SIZE, FUEL PRESSURE, BOOST AND PYRO. FOR 285.00 FOR EVERYTHING.
HE ADVERTISES ON EBAY UNDER CUMMINS PARTS ALL THE TIME

rjwest
02-09-2004, 06:52
There are electrical senders, or mech isolators,

And direct thru a 1/8 copper tube, I am not concerned about amount of
diesel fuel that could leak in cab, it smells.

besides, Airplanes have had fuel lines in cockpit's for years.

BuffaloGuy
02-09-2004, 14:28
Ditto to rjwest. I've got an e-bay find ($20 new in the box) installed under the dash in front of the trans shift. Just in case, I sleeved the 1/8" copper fuel line in 3/8" rubber fuel line with a clamp on the gauge end. The other end is open in plain view when I open the hood. When/if I ever get a leak it will leak under the hood and not in the cab.

Watching this gauge has been very informative. Money well spent.