PDA

View Full Version : Heath performance program

AC Bingel
05-26-2004, 12:07
Has anyone with a 1999 6.5 swapped out your computer with one of Heath's Max E Tork and performance program computer? It claims 50+ hp and 170+ torque gain. I have heard the stock 99's have the best program available. If the claims are true, it would be worth the money.

matt-max
05-26-2004, 13:13
yes, i have.

tahoe was L56 program stock. changed to 2001 3500hd program along with exhaust and boost controller. this went from 129ish hp to 171ish hp.

swapped in heath program and turbo-master and could feel a great improvement in top end acceleration and some additional low end torque as well.

new ecm set a s.e.s. code immediately (less than 2 miles) and was returned to heath never to be seen again.

i am currently running a westers ecm as heath could not supply one for my tahoe in reasonable time. i have yet to dyno or g-tech it. it is an improvement, especially at highway speeds and top end acceleration. not so sure about low end.

matt

Kennedy
05-26-2004, 15:07
Originally posted by matt-max:

i am currently running a westers ecm as heath could not supply one for my tahoe in reasonable time. i have yet to dyno or g-tech it. it is an improvement, especially at highway speeds and top end acceleration. not so sure about low end.

matt FWIW, Same source. ;)

[ 06-08-2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

AndyL
05-26-2004, 15:08
I have it. Honestly I was hoping for more.

Perry
05-26-2004, 21:57
I have a 99 K2500 Sub and made the switch last month from the stock ECM to the new Heath ECM. I haven't put it on a dyno, but driving around town empty, it sure feels like the extra hp and torque he advertises.

In stop and go, it really accelerates past traffic and climbs hills without needing to go past 1900rpm. In this scenario, boost usually goes up to about 7psi, climbing to about 10psi going up hills in city traffic.

And getting on the highway, if you rev up past 2100, the Suburban gets up to speed fast and easily accelerates up hills while the TC is locked, even at 60mph. Boost goes just past 13psi when getting on the highway in a hurry and this is with the factory vaccum boost controller.

The EGT's post turbo stay below 500 going up hills empty and cool down real fast.

I'm a happy customer. Now I need to find someone in town to perform a TDC offset learn to the correct specs.

Perry

gmcheek
05-27-2004, 04:59
I have had my Heath reprogramed ECM installed for a little over a week now. I was running a reflashed factory 99 ecm with a JK boost controller. The difference in overall driveability is amazing. I had to re-learn the gas pedal! The truck is very responsive and cruises @ 70 to 75 effortlessly now with a lot more on tap. It is also a lot queiter now at cruising speeds and just has a totally different personality, it runs and sounds like I've always thought it should. I can't really make an honest accessment on fuel economy yet but, can say it's definately not worse than before. The way it runs if I can quit enjoying the new found power, I feel fuel economy will be better than before.

On an added note Bill and his crew were absolutely the best folks I have ever done bussiness with.

Mike

Turbine Doc
05-27-2004, 05:10
I have been running one for 5 mos now more or less, several changes were made to try and accomodate my L56/65 hybrid set up, 1st versions of the program sort of ho hum better but not quite what one was after, I am now running what I'll call Heath 2.0 which is the latest generation he is offering it's been in for 3 weeks now, it's the best reflash I've run yet I've tried several.

Maybe there is some tuning yet still, but until there is; this one is worth the money. Those that are running the Heath earlier versions give him a call to see if you have latest & greatest program. He tells me he will work with folks that don't have it to get them up to 2.0 performance.

matt-max
05-27-2004, 08:22
there you go, john! the cat is out of the bag now! at least i didn't let it out.

i went direct with lyndon to ease the communication issue. apparently heath is getting it from another source that is getting it from westers(according to lyndon). he has been very helpful and fast with his service.

overall i am quite happy with the performance increase but was really expecting more. something about driving around a 400hp dmax makes a 200ish hp tahoe seem tame.....

matt

freddys
05-27-2004, 19:38
Now that the cat is out of the bag about Wester's Garge.

I have been trying different ECM programming for the last 3 months with Lyndon (Wester

TurboDiverArt
05-28-2004, 02:40
[quote]Originally posted by freddys:
[b]
<<SNIP>>
My boost runs around 21 psi and it work

computer monkey
05-28-2004, 03:28
I think I can safety say the more power comes from add boost, add fuel and change in start of injection timing. Bill work with me on custom set up for my Suburban. I guess because the VIN says it is a k1500 but the body is actually a k2500 it made for a weird set up. The engine is a L65 not the 56. I can till a difference between the stock the beta that he sent me and the finally. Here is a picture of the trailer I pull. www.n2outdrs.com/engine/rigweb.jpg (http://www.n2outdrs.com/engine/rigweb.jpg)
I see a lot lower EGT's with the added boost. I do mean a lot lower. 1100 down to 850 on a level pull, pre turbo. I am writing up the whole story from the beginning with the stock engine the warranty exchange, heath diesel flash program, water injection. I know from my point these things was what I was interested in when I was looking in the forums. Just a note I haven't added the water injection yet, next few weeks.

freddys
05-28-2004, 17:24
My boost is 21psi with a fuel rate of 80mm3.

With a stock ECM your fuel rate for the 98 and down is 63mm3 to 68mm3 so your max boost will be 11psi to 14psi

I got to do some more testing next week and will post some numbers then.

Freddy

gwaidman
05-29-2004, 14:27
Yep, Just installed the 2.0 program and wow, what a differance. The truck drives very smooth around town, and when you step on it!.... This should make for a very interesting pull up to my rec. property in July. I travel 500km mostly up hills of 5-9% grades from Vancouver to 100 Mile House area of B.C. Bill has a winner here. Now, about that water injection.... :D

HANK1948
05-30-2004, 04:47
Who or what is westers garage? never heard of it. Iam interested in a ECM reflash for my 96.

Cooperrw
05-30-2004, 16:51
I just installed the reflashed ECM, so far no codes and the seat of the pants excelleration while empty has improved :D . I have not towed with the new ECM yet so I have no imformation on how it will perform.
Hank1948 I noticed that you have a Superlift lift kit on your truck, what is your impression of this kit? I have been thinking of installing one on my 96. :cool:

freddys
05-30-2004, 18:52
You can find Lyndon Here (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org)

freddy

S\W Off Road
05-30-2004, 20:22
I've been running Bill's 2.0 for about three weeks now and it has much more umph then his other programing. I just returned from Flagstaff pulling my 33' 5th wheel that empty is about 12000# plus the truck and all the goodies must be close to 20,000# and I am very happy with the way it pulled. MPG up was about 9 mpg and back was 12 mpg. For those that don't know Flagstaff is at aboy 7000 foot level and you have a few 6% & 7% grades that are about 8 miles long at one point. Highest egt was 1050* I kept the boost under 15# just for safety and because I'm a wimp when it comes to blowing the heads off. Back to the chip, Bill has an up-grade price that he gives to those that have his other programing, give him a call. John has lost this customer to Bill

HANK1948
05-31-2004, 15:45
RIVER RAT Iam happy with my superlift , it rides nice and it makes these trucks look tuff the way it should have been from the factory ;)

Tony J.
06-03-2004, 11:00
I have the new Heath chip on my truck. I have had it for about a month. Prior to that, I had purchased a Max-E Tork from Bill within the previous 45 days or so. I was just getting ready to tow my trailer from Phoenix to Kalispell Montana when I heard about this NEW chip of Bill's. I called him up on Monday, and he OVERNITED me the new one, no charges whatsoever, for my Wednesday morning departure. I swapped them out, and sent him my Max-E tork back a couple weeks later. I can't emphasize enough how thrilled I was/am with his customer service. I didn't even have to whine too much to get him to do it! As for the chip, I'm VERY impressed with it. I ran about 65 mph all the way here, and got around 10-12 mpg all the way here. Lots of power, and a definite improvement running when empty. Since I only bought my truck a few months ago, I really don't have enough experience with it to say exactly how much better the performance and economy is or isn't. I will say I can definitely notice the power increase when driving. As for Heath's product and customer service- he's the first one I've bought any diesel products from, and as long as he keeps treating me the way he has, I will not hesitate to continue to patronize him. I am THRILLED with my dealings with Bill Heath.

Just my .02/experience.

Cooperrw
06-04-2004, 04:04
Hank1948, thanks and I agree these trucks look tough when lifted.

rjschoolcraft
06-05-2004, 17:51
S/W Off Road:

Not pleased with your bad-mouthing. :(

Shuck
06-07-2004, 09:46
ronniejoe: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

rjschoolcraft
06-07-2004, 11:16
I have no problem with differing opinions about parts or prices...

Personal attacks are another matter. That post was vicious in it's personal attack on Kennedy.

For the record, John and I have disagreed about some issues in the past. That happens. I've met him and believe that he is genuine. I wonder if S/W Off Road has met him?

JohnC
06-07-2004, 11:29
S/W Off Road:

Not pleased with your bad-mouthing. :( Me either, but I'm a great believer in free speech. Of course, what a lot of folks seem to forget is that with free speech, or any other right for that matter, comes responsibility. The community of competent 6.5 supporters is small enough as it is, without us bloodying each other up. Maybe the poster will see fit to go back and edit his post into something constructive rather than destructive...

Shuck
06-07-2004, 12:29
SW offroad's responsibility is that his name is attached to his comment. We are free to file that away to remember in our future dealings with him or to not. Free speech doesn't mean popular speech or even polite speech. Now really, his comments weren't that inflamatory. I have no opinion regarding these particular vendors - but all he did was say why he changed who he buys his stuff from. Just because he didn't do it in "the Queen's" English doesn't mean he can't say what he wants.

JohnC
06-07-2004, 12:54
Originally posted by Shuck:
Now really, his comments weren't that inflamatory.I'm gonna guess from this comment that you don't know to whom he was referring with the steaksauce comment. Let's just say it's like comparing George Bush to John Kerry, or vice versa, depending on your point of view. Inappropriate in this forum, IMHO.

If you feel one vendor gives better service, say so, but you don't have to slam another one to do it.

Cowracer
06-07-2004, 13:13
My exhaust is from Kennedy and my chip is from Heath. JK service was good, BH's was exceptional. JK is definatly NOT a polished 'salesman' but thats ok, I really wasn't expecting him to be.

That being said, I have no problem buying anything from either in the future

I do my own research and ask questions of vendors when I do get ready to buy. I read posts on the dealings that people had with vendors, but I don't let that alone sway me one way or the other.

But I refuse to buy from ANYONE who bad mouths his competitors. Making comparisons is ok but calling the other guy a lying, slanderous misleading, troll ( or something like that) will make my wallet snap shut like a mousetrap.

Tim

JoeyD
06-07-2004, 13:16
While the Steaksauce guy is one of a kind and should not be compared with others, you guys need to back off of S/W offroad. Unless someone here had a phone tap on his line or was a fly on the wall when they met your throwing stones based on opinion.
I think John and Bill seem fine to deal with but offer respect to a different opinion at the same time.
All it takes is elementary "hacker's" knowledge to duplicate this... This statement could lead some to think John invented the chip and Bill stole it, how come none of you see fault in this?

[ 06-07-2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Joey D ]

Marty Lau
06-07-2004, 14:05
I don't have a problem with S/W comments except for the steak sauce reference. I think that was a way to try and miss Jim's forbidden words list which A One Cuss Tom's is on. I have dealt with both John and Bill and have had good dealings with both. My experience is that John provides better than average service while Bill provides Exceptional service. Bill's prices are better, but John's is in line with other vendors and many times less.

Yes I caught the hacker comment from JK and didn't like it but, I let it slide.
I think S/W should have sent an e-mail or phoned John and told him straight up why he voting with his dollars the way he is. That is the American way.
I hold no contempt for anyone here with exception of maybe myself from time to time. Some times I think we all get our feathers ruffled too easy....... :rolleyes:

Dieselboy
06-07-2004, 15:56
So...if one still desired more fuel than the new programming has calibrated, could one still install a #9 resistor without setting codes?

eracers999
06-07-2004, 18:30
I thought S/W's comments were a hoot, dont know what the steak sauce guy thing is about but it shure sounded funny. I know exactly why some could take JK as maybe being short or real quick to the point and a little less charming, he's just streched to thin. Ill bet he's the brains and the bull at his place of buisness. While Bill maybe has a little more of a support cast to allow him to really bear down and keep the buisness coming. That or he is just a really special person. I say that about JK because i have been in that mode myself for a long time and that makes it easy to see. There isnt enough hours in a day. Everybody benifets from critisizm as long as thats not all they hear. S/W just told it like he saw it. No one is questioning JK's products, if they were they better be able to support it. Products either work as claimed or they dont. Personalitys are a much more touchy thing. We all say things that are positive and things that are negative so lets leave the moderating to MP.

Kent

JohnC
06-08-2004, 07:03
Originally posted by Kent:
No one is questioning JK's products, ..Ah, but that was exactly my point. the "steaksauce" guy's "products" supposedly defied the laws of physics. John's products and his claims are real. Price and service are valid discussion points but it is unfair to insinuate that his products are in the same league with those of a snake oil salesman's. That's where I draw the line.

Moderating in moderation...
JohnC

JoeyD
06-08-2004, 08:38
JohnC, Is it OK that JK claimed he invented the chip and others sell a hackers version?

eracers999
06-08-2004, 09:45
I have a JK mid chip, can anyone tell me what i might be able to gain going to the new Heath chip 2.0 ? If this chip is in a league all of its own i wonder what JK has up his sleeve ??

Thanks
Kent

S\W Off Road
06-08-2004, 09:54
Originally posted by JohnC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kent:
No one is questioning JK's products, ..Ah, but that was exactly my point. the "steaksauce" guy's "products" supposedly defied the laws of physics. John's products and his claims are real. Price and service are valid discussion points but it is unfair to insinuate that his products are in the same league with those of a snake oil salesman's. That's where I draw the line.

Moderating in moderation...
JohnC </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with you John and I have no problem with his products and no insinuation was made about his products. The majority of his products have been proven to be more then acceptable by the many customers/forum members that have purchased from him, myself included. My comments were strictly about the way I personally was treated as a customer. I didn

JohnC
06-08-2004, 12:46
That's the great thing about this thread: everyone seems to have a different idea of what's being said...

Time to move on?

mwilcox
06-08-2004, 17:59
Yea lets move on, I'll tell you about the Heath ECM tomorrow. For a minute stop over at the 'very low boost' topic and see what I'm so pumped about!