PDA

View Full Version : gas to diesel conversion on 94

catmandoo
05-25-2004, 17:17
has anyone converted a newer 94 to diesel from gas,i've been looking high and low for a diesel sub,but they are either gold plated or in newyork texas or washington,too far away,well today i ran into a 94 1/2 ton 4x4 sub,with a weak engine for dirt cheap.and i have an excellent running 6.2 in my 84 pickup thats rusting to pieces in my yard so pulleys ect are no problem and figured i would get the diesel fuel tank unit and just run the mechanical lift pump and i was comparing the hydro vac brake units tonite and they look close,don't know if they will work but looks close enough it might i also would need the oil filter adapter ,my main problems look like cooler lines and a radiator,figured i'd run an external cooler for the trans.and i'd need a different torque converter,also figure i'd just run a push button for the glow plugs as i will be the only one driving this.is there anything else to look at or that i would need.

tanker
05-26-2004, 01:32
Seems like a lot of work, but it can be done. 94's are driven by wire (electronic) so you will have electronc issues, with interfacing with the chassis computer, for transmission shifting etc. If you have lots of time it would be a nice fun project. I'd keep looking for a Diesel sub with a bad engine, then start there. I'd sell you mine, if they made a D-Max suburban, but till then. :rolleyes:

catmandoo
05-26-2004, 05:05
well the sub is a gas so it should have a cable for the throttle and i could use the cable for a 93 pickup.as for the trans it should be cable shift also.i'm gonna have to take another good look at it didn't know they computerized the shifts on the diesels.heck as far as that goes i could use the trans out of my 84 pickup too and just convert it to 2wd.pull the t-case and front diff to lighten the front a little.i already have a 4wd 94 gas sub so if i ever need a t-case for it i won't have to go out and dig for one of them.as i said it's dirt cheap so if i butcher it i'm not out much.and i'll be the last owner of it.i'll drive it into the dirt.

whatnot
05-26-2004, 07:05
I think 92 was the last year they had cables to the transmission. My 93 has the electronic transmission.
Unless they changed something in the transmission between 93 and 94, you could just get a chip for a 93 6.2L.

catmandoo
05-26-2004, 10:22
i'll have to check my sub and see what it uses i never really pay much attention to it!

Quack_Addict
05-26-2004, 11:51
A Suburban with a Diesel and a stick would be cool... :rolleyes: but that would be a little more work than you're already looking at. ;)

Marty Lau
05-26-2004, 12:12
Try www.autotrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com) I did an advanced search from Zip Code 52001 and there is 2 within a 100 miles less than $9,000. In fact there is a '94 with 133K miles $7,000. If it's not trashed that isn't too bad a price.
Plus a 1996 GMC under 400 miles from that Zip code.
I would just keep looking and you'll find one even if you find one that needs a new Diesel engine it would be a lot easier than doing a conversion.

Bobbie Martin
05-26-2004, 13:39
Also consider the 1500 Diesel Subs have the heavy duty 3/4 ton suspension bits. A gas 1500 Sub is light duty. If this is your plan, I would look for a 2500 gasser.

catmandoo
05-26-2004, 16:01
16ga i checked the one for 7000 and it's gone and did a little more research and the 94 does have the electronic shift so i might just pick it up anyway and work the engine over and sell it should easily be able to double my money then i'll have more to spend when i do find one,i did find one 150 miles from me but on the trader he wants 8995 but when i check out his ad on a different trader it's 9995 sowho knows,maybe i can get this other gasser and trade him both for his 95,it's pretty low miles and nice options but it is a 2500 i prefer a 1500 but might have to go that route,beggers can't be choosers.thanks for the responses could be saving me some major headaches not to mention busted knuckles etc