PDA

View Full Version : Timing gear question

TJ
05-23-2004, 20:40
Hi all,
I have a complete timing gear set up for a mechanical injected 6.5L. What do you I have to do/purchase to install this kit on my 98 electronic 6.5L?

Thanks,
TJ

tanker
05-24-2004, 01:21
I think you will need the relucter part for the crank position sensor. I think that was the only difference in the kit, between mechanical and electronic. ;)

CleviteKid
05-24-2004, 05:12
Hey TJ,

You would also need a new crank gear, since the hub is shorter to compensate for the reluctor disk. If you are handy with the lathe, you could turn yours down, but it would be nice to know the exact longitudinal dimension you are shooting for.

I guess when you pull the old sprocket and reluctor out, you can measure them and compute what you need to do to the crank gear.

Have fun, and when you are done, you can brag about being the only guy you know who has put the mechanical injection gear set in a DS-4 equipped engine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

JohnC
05-24-2004, 08:20
I recall the reluctor included with the gear set was part of the majic. Maybe the easiest way is to contact DSG or one of their vendors and see if you can swap for the right kit (assuming 5th one you have is new) or at least try and get their reluctor.

Peter J. Bierman
05-24-2004, 12:24
Or other wise, you can sell the mechanical kit to me and buy the right one for your truck ;)

Peter

TJ
05-24-2004, 15:34
Much interested! Yes, I do have a BRAND NEW mechanical kit for sale. I've had the kit for a while, but never installed it.

Peter J. Bierman
05-25-2004, 12:48
E-mail me at pjbierman@wanadoo.nl and we might come to business.

Peter