PDA

View Full Version : New diesel in 2006?

turboGMC
09-18-2004, 11:39
"Beginning in the summer of 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will require a vast majority of the on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States to have a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million compared with the current diesel-fuel sulfur-content cap of 500 parts per million"~~ http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/nd0916043.htm ~~

What are your thoughts on this?

[ 09-18-2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: turboGMC ]

Hye
09-18-2004, 13:36
This link will work better.

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/nd0916043.htm

If cleaning the dirty air found in our cities is the goal, I think a gov't regulation limiting cities to 15ppm (people per mile) would be microscopically less stupid.

TurboDiverArt
09-18-2004, 16:17
OK, so what does all this mean? Distributors are going to have to sell 2 different fuels? Why would someone use the new fuels if it costs more and is not required for their truck? Would 2007 trucks require the new fuel? What would happen if it used the old fuel, codes? Very confusing.

Art.

damork
09-18-2004, 18:48
The sulfur is only one part of it. It really gets me when I am supposed to be driving something that meets emissions yet there isn't a day that goes by when I don't see some large truck belching black smoke, government owned included.

DA BIG ONE
09-18-2004, 22:24
I remember back in the early 90s when this less sulfer issue reared its ugly head. My MB diesel pump kept eating up seals, leaking raw fuel onto the roadway, had to hand prime to restart each time. This took many ah good running machines off the road forever. MB had seals on back order for what seemed forever. I wonder if that is the plan now?

Sure newer seals that hold up to the fuel we have now work, but will they hold up to the new fuel formula, or?

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2004, 05:06
Yeah, but are suppliers going to have 2 diesel fuels? How the heck are they going to regulate that the correct fuel is put in the correct vehicle? Naturally people are going to put in the cheapest fuel they can get as long as it doesn

charliepeterson
09-20-2004, 19:05
Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel is coming for everyone! Make sure you use the fuel additive.

dstoops
09-21-2004, 04:04
I guess the bright side is that we may not have as much acids to deal with. heat+moisture+sulphur=sulphuric acid. I would think that it will be even more important to use a LUBRICATING fuel conditioner.

RT
09-21-2004, 16:57
In Europe the ULSD has been in use for a while. If they can make it work it shouldn't be a problem for us. Older vehicles should be using a lubricity additive anyway. RT

tom.mcinerney
09-21-2004, 18:51
The new clean fuel will allow newer cleaner engines. Very good chance domestic autos will have a diesel power option.
Clean fuel enabled the europeans to develop diesels essentially as clean as our gas jobs.

Peter J. Bierman
09-22-2004, 13:06
Low sulpher Fuel has been around for a wile here in Europe.
Most GM diesel engines around are the surplus cucv's and they are equiped with the mil.spec. pump and do not suffer from this fuel.
The 6.5 TD's I know around, no one use extra additives and the pumps last like 140K miles as do they in the US.
1/3 off all passenger cars use some sort off commonrail diesel engine and perform very well.
Only fuel problems I hear off on regular bases are gassers that do not start on cold mornings couse the gas does not evaporate :D

Though additives do not hurt the engine, from experiance I beleive it is not a must to save the pump, clean fuel is!

Peter

radrecon69
09-25-2004, 11:51
Ditto on what Peter said when i was stationed in Germany I never used any additive heck it was hard to find but all of the Germans that had diesel told me that the diesel already had additives in it so there was no reason to put any in. My 6.5 ran better on German diesel than it runs on this CR@P they call diesel here, alot less smoke and the pickup was great. I wish I was able to bring back a full tank with me.

Rick