PDA

View Full Version : RemarQ Tech PMD repalcement

Desert 6.5
09-17-2004, 15:14
I am having to replace the PMD in my 95 K2500 Sub. Wondering how many ppl have tried the Sol-D from RemarQ and what they think? Also does it come with a new resistor?
I have tried everything listed in here about what to check before repalcement (grounds, connectors, PMD trans mounting screws).

Thanx

N9Phil
09-17-2004, 18:24
I have a 95 Suburban that had the following symptoms. It always started and
would run great when cold. After getting the engine warmed up and shutting down,
it would start right up and run great unless it sat for ten minutes or more
then it would start right up but after idling for about a minute it would
Sometimes sputter and die. I would run the lift pump for ten seconds and
it would start right up. After sitting for a couple hours, the engine
would cool down and it would always start and run OK.

The SOL-D solved the problem. When I first started the engine with the
SOL-D I had a slight miss when punching the throttle. I shut the engine
down and checked for codes. There were none. I restarted the engine and
the slight miss was still there when I punched the throttle. I took the
Vehicle for a test run and it worked great. No miss when I punched it.

As of today 9/17/04, I have 200 miles on the
SOL-D and I am very happy with the results I have received. I have great
acceleration but if I put the throttle to the floor, I get some black smoke.

As for the calibration resistor, the SOL-D does
NOT need one. The installation is very easy. It
took me less than 10 minutes and half of that time was spent finding my
metric socket.

Phil (IL)

markrinker
09-19-2004, 18:48
If you have black smoke under full throttle, then you are leaving 'power on the table' and probably experiencing higher than normal EGTs.

Your engine needs more air to burn the remainder of the fuel in the cylinders where it makes MORE POWER. Are you sure your current boost controls are functioning correctly?

A Heath Turbo-Master will give you the most adjustable and simple approach to controlling boost. If you stick with stock boost controls, there is probably a way to adjust the length of the wastegate arm (shorter) to increase boost, or use Kennedy's 'boost fooler' that modifies the signal sent by the boost sensor to the ECM.

Don't get too crazy without a boost gauge in place - remember boost with restrictive exhause = high EGTs. Most people agree that 12-14psi nominal with the GM8 turbo is tops.

jspringator
09-20-2004, 08:03
Of course, replacement with a stock PMD fixes problems too. Is it any better than a new stock PMD?

N9Phil
09-21-2004, 17:35
I suspect that my problem has to do with slow responding boost. If I drive using normal acceleration, then I have no smoke. If I gradually push the accelerator I don't get smoke. It is only when starting out and I punch the pedal to the floor or when I am going say 45mph for a while and then punch the pedal to the floor that I get smoke for a few seconds and then it clears up.

I can't say that the SOL-D is better than a new stock fsd however before I had the problem with the engine dying on startup when hot, I didn't have the power that I have with the SOL-D.

Phil (IL)

Desert 6.5
09-24-2004, 14:28
I have to agree with N9Phil, I too have more power with the Sol-D. The overall performance and response so far has me sold. The 5 year warranty helps too :cool: Glad I went with it now, vice stock.

It has a built in #7 resistor by the way.

Desert 6.5