PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 intermittent no start help

Lightyear
09-19-2019, 06:07
Hello all

My K2500 Burb is giving me fits with an intermittent crank but no start. PMD cooler under front bumper, new extension harness, 6 month old PMD, #5 resistor, new IP harness. She'll crank, not fire, and there is faint gray smoke at the exhaust. Any suggestions or threads appreciated!
Cheers

arveetek
09-19-2019, 06:18
Is the "wait to start" light coming on when it won't start? I'm wondering if you are experiencing glow plug issues. I have seen electrical issues where the ignition switch starts to fail, causing a scenario where the glow plugs are not engaging, but the engine will still crank over.

Casey

Yukon6.2
09-19-2019, 09:05
What PMD ?

And try changing it anyhow.
2nd suspect ignition switch

Lightyear
09-19-2019, 18:15
The one in the truck now, that was working is from Advance, 'Original Equipment Remanufactured'; also have one from Pensacola Fuel Injection. Replaced the original earlier the year along with an extension PMD harness both from PFI. The extension developed a bad pin from engine compartment heat, replaced with one from Kennedy Diesel. I had a bout of starting trouble on Tuesday. Started troubleshooting after several hours, re-seated the extension harness plug and she fired right up. Beginning to suspect the IP harness may be the culprit but I'm open to ideas...

Yukon6.2
09-20-2019, 09:14
Interesting i have never heard of a re-manufactured PMD
When my 98 6.5 was a computerized truck...
It was never a daily driver,sometimes it would sit for weeks.
It went through a number of PMD's even after the remote mount.
It had numerous electrical gremlins.
I changed the ignition switch one of the many electrical issues it had over the years.
I finally changed it to mechanical injection.That was the end of any issues the truck had electrically.

Lightyear
09-30-2019, 16:28
Well as it turns out, replacing the IP harness with a Kennedy one did the business. In the process, however, I found a broken intake manifold runner which added to the time and miles involved. Added a new Kennedy extension harness and she runs and starts great.

Thanks for the suggestions!