PDA

View Full Version : Sinister cat fuel filter filter conversion

oscybon
06-27-2019, 08:58
I purchased this conversion but did not install. I'm concerned about the water in fuel feature in the OEM set up. Does TDP have a position on this conversion?
Anyone?
Thanks
OSS.

Kennedy
07-02-2019, 08:55
I am not a fan of a Cat filter conversion. If you want to do yourself some good add another filter.

The OE filter is a multi layer design. It has a bad reputation for being inadequate that stemmed from the early units being single layer. Cat gained mythological 2 micron status from being overrated while being untested to common standard.

SoTxPollock
07-02-2019, 09:48
John, seeking your and others opinions on the question, Is additional fuel filtration still necessary? Wouldn't you think GM has solved the problem by now. I'm considering a new 2020 and wonder if I should be looking for a place to install additional filtration, but I wonder if that problem hasn't been solved by now.

a5150nut
07-02-2019, 09:53
My 06 K3500 came with a cat filter in the left rear wheel well as a prefilter. Have changed it to a Donaldson filter and have Donaldson filters on rest of truck. They work great.

More Power
07-02-2019, 12:17
For decades, GM located the fuel filter(s) in their diesel pickups in the engine bay. This was done partly for service access, but also to allow some of the under-hood engine heat to help prevent gelling during the winter months.

Here in Montana (and most northern states) the highway department uses road de-icer on the highways during the winter months. De-icer is terrible nasty awful stuff that corrodes everything that can possibly corrode. I would hesitate installing anything prone to corrosion in a wheelwell. Look for a location less exposed to road spray.

Kennedy
07-09-2019, 06:31
John, seeking your and others opinions on the question, Is additional fuel filtration still necessary? Wouldn't you think GM has solved the problem by now. I'm considering a new 2020 and wonder if I should be looking for a place to install additional filtration, but I wonder if that problem hasn't been solved by now.

Depends where you source your fuel. In my case 99% of my fuel comes from my barrel, treated and double filtered before it gets to my truck tank. I do still buy some road fuel so I have my trucks equipped as well.