PDA

View Full Version : Removing fuel tank

Omygod1
04-02-2019, 13:36
Fuel leaking from tank area of 00 6.5 Want to remove tank,but not sure what best way is. Any suggestions? I can’t see much even with removing straps and lowering tank few inches. Looks like metal fuel line runs along inner frame rail and turns to rubber for 5 to 8 inch’s then back to metal which is on top of tank where I can’t see. I’m concerned if I lower tank more the metal fuel lines may bend and leak. I was thinking of cutting the rubber sections to drop tank and reconnect with barbed unions and few hose clamps. Any thoughts!! Thanks

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2019, 14:15
Just remove the bed. It's much easier than you might think (easier than only dropping the tank).

DieselDavy
04-03-2019, 09:50
I second DMAX. Without any special equipment, Remove a handful of bolts, disconnect a couple of electrical connectors and get three friends and walk the bed right off. EASY-Peezy!
d

DmaxMaverick
04-03-2019, 14:14
It really is that easy. Be sure to disconnect the fuel filler(s) and any RV connectors (camper or 5th wheel), as well. You can even do it solo, if necessary, as I have a couple times. It's easiest using garage rafters or any type of overhead support, using motorcycle or ratchet straps. One at each corner, taking up a little at a time until the chassis can be rolled out. If outdoors or w/o overhead support, I once drove T-Posts at each corner, then used motorcycle straps to suspend the bed from them. Piece o' cake.

Important note:
If you drive the chassis w/o the bed on, keep in mind the less weight on the rear axle. It's a different driving experience, so go easy on the throttle and tight turns. Even crossing flat/wet grass can be exciting.

Omygod1
04-06-2019, 10:22
Roger that.