PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS OK?

panchosteam
11-13-2003, 08:42
Hi guys:just a question, is it ok to run the down pipe between the tire and the chasis? i took my truck yesterday to the muffler shop to get an estimate and the guy at the muffler shop saw that on the passenger side fender there is like a drawn circle, he said he will cut it out and run the pipe down that way and then go under the frame.... what do you guys think? i saw on another post that somebody had the spare tire blown by the exhaust and i dont want this to be another case like that one.
Thank you guys

1984 GMC PICK UP, NOW WITH 6.5 TD, WIND MUSIC COMES WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH.

slagona
11-13-2003, 09:33
I've heard of several people running the downpipe on the outside of the frame rail on the 80's style trucks. The first one I've heard of was done back in '97. Haven't heard any problems with it yet - but do watch out for the tire clearance.

On my '87, I made my own downpipe from 3" pipe and 3" mandrel bent elbows. It fit between the frame and the engine with just one small "ding" about the size of a quarter to make sure it stayed off the frame. I never had any problems with my setup - many others have done this also.

If you are going with a 3" downpipe, there is room to put it on the inside of the frame on the 80's trucks. Mine even had A/C. But that's another story.

I'd go inside if you can, but outside will work.

Good luck,

--Scott

panchosteam
11-13-2003, 09:55
Thank you scott, i might try another place,this guy cuoted $300 for the complete exhaust,what i will do is check one or two more places and see on each different story then go from there, my engine is running a little hot or goes over 22o i try not to have it go over that, i only test drove it not long trips or any thing like that,i'm trying to wait for the exhaust to get done and then give it a longer trip, maybe like 100 mile round just to see how it will react,i havent put any coolant is just running on water that maybe my problem,i hook a toggle sw to the turbo ( because i have the electric valve) and it seems to work, i have not got the gauges yet but that is my next step soon as i get some money, which gauges do you think i will need i do not use this vehicle for towing, it's a family vehicle and i'm planning on raning it the way it is with out any modifications just to see what happens, i got me a turbo master from HEATH DIESEL i will install later maybe when i get my gauges, well that is all for now . Thank you again.

1984 GMC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD ENGINE ,WIND MUSIC COMES WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH.

patrick m.
11-13-2003, 18:13
what is the reason for going that direction?

panchosteam
11-13-2003, 18:47
Hi Patrick, the reason for going that direction is that the down pipe hits the intake manifold and the frame on my 1984 gmc pick up, and the engine is out of a 1996 it had the turbo and most of the accesories on it the only thing it did not have was the bracket for the a/c and steering pump and the IP,i tried to fit the pipe in between the exhaust manifold and the frame but i had to smash the down pipe and still kind of squeezed between these two so the guy at the muffler shop came up with the idea of cutting the drawn circle on the passenger side fender to run it between the frame and the tire, because of room and that is the story so far.
Tomorrow i will try to get my exhaust and my air filter sistem because this is another thing that i do not have on this engine, well that is all for now, thank you guys .

1984 GMC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD ENGINE,WIND MUSIC COMES WITH TOGGLE SWITCH.