PDA

View Full Version : mechanical IP problem

dieseldummy
11-12-2003, 22:13
i have a 93 6.5 with the mechanical pump. it ocasionally dies a few moments after starting it, and sometimes doesn't give full fuel on acceleration(doesn't get egt's very warm and lacks boost compared to usual) is this a sign of a warn out pump or something else? :confused: i have also recently changed the lift pump.

StephenA
11-13-2003, 05:00
Is the OPS turning on the new lift pump?

dieseldummy
11-13-2003, 07:50
when i have the pickup running i have crawled under it and felt the lift pump running, i don't know if it is running all the time while driving it.

britannic
11-13-2003, 08:04
Was the IP working OK before the lift pump change? Air entering the system under vacuum can cause the symptoms you're seeing.

StephenA
11-13-2003, 15:41
yeah, & I've read several posts from J Kennedy stating something about the lift pumps not being self purging... Sounds like air.

dieseldummy
11-13-2003, 18:05
it did this before the lift pump change, which is why i changed the pump. i have bled the system from the fuel filter to the injection lines, and made sure that the all of the fuel lines didn't have any cracks.

taznj63
11-13-2003, 19:53
It Is the Oil Pressure Switch...
Same problem I had with my truck, Seems like your run out of fuel under hard acceleration and sometimes stalls when 1st start up.
I also changed the lift pump and still had same problems.
Change the OPS... This will fix it...

dieseldummy
11-13-2003, 21:04
ok, assuming that it is the ops then would anyone discourage bypassing the sender and having the lift pump run all the time when the ignition is on?

britannic
11-13-2003, 22:21
Originally posted by dieseldummy:
ok, assuming that it is the ops then would anyone discourage bypassing the sender and having the lift pump run all the time when the ignition is on? By way of testing may be, but remember, if you're in a road smash, the last thing you want is 15+ gallons of fuel being pumped all over, especially in the event of fire.

dieseldummy
11-14-2003, 11:44
i bypassed the ops and it seems to have corected the problem for now. i'll get a new one and put it on. thanks for the help guys.

StephenA
11-15-2003, 06:35
Search OPS in the members area- there's an ops mod covered by more power posted recently on blast from the past that covers how to add a relay circuit so the OPS doesn't have to handle so many amps...