PDA

View Full Version : Performance exhaust

rnash4
12-22-2017, 07:07
I have a 1995 Gmc C2500 6.5L VIN F truck. Am considering upgrading the exhaust system. Am trying to figure out if my truck has a catalytic converter or not. In the exhaust pipe just before the muffler is what appears to be a small muffler or resonator or something. My shop manual has a diagram of my exhaust system but did not say what that thing was before the muffler. It is my understanding the VIN F trucks have little or no emmissions on them (EGR, Cat, etc). I want to be sure if my truck came with a Cat or not to avoid problems later with state inspections and such. Any help would be appreciated.

Robyn
12-22-2017, 07:36
They call it a soot trap.

It functions similar to a CAT and they do cause a lot of restriction in the system.

A good 4 inch system with a free flow muffler is the ticket.

There are down pipes that are also larger than stock (From the turbo down to below the engine where the frame straightens out)

A 4 inch pipe will not fit between the frame and the engine up to the turbo, so most are about 3 inch or so.

The cross over pipe can also be updated with a smooth flowing unit that will flow better.

If you have to pass an emissions check then you may want to consider a CAN that looks like the soot trap to fit in the spot ahead of the muffler.

This would be a simple visual thing is all.

Good luck..

rnash4
12-22-2017, 07:59
Thanks for the reply. In Texas they do not require an actual emmissions test on diesels, but they could do a visual inspection of the exhaust. That CAN idea could be the ticket! I just don't want to do a bunch of work and spend a lot of money to find out I can't get my truck inspected, then have to go back and fix it.

Robyn
12-22-2017, 12:14
There are several companies that make a unit that looks like a soot trap/cat that simply have a pipe through them.

Weld into the system ahead of the muffler in the appropriate spot and all is good

rnash4
12-22-2017, 13:02
Can you tell me what companies? If not, no problem.

Robyn
12-23-2017, 19:56
Try these guys..
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html
A 3" in the down pipe just after it levels out under the floor of the truck and then adapt up to 4 inch and run 4 inch back through a good high flow muffler and then over the the axle and out the back

rnash4
12-24-2017, 17:42
Thank you!

Robyn
12-25-2017, 05:24
Hope things all work for ya.. :)