PDA

View Full Version : does it have a gov.

Shad
11-11-2003, 02:38
Does the 6.5 have a gov. I have had mine up to 3,500 rpm a few times but always wonderd?? Also had the sub's speedo needle buried a few times... Just a thought because my friends older cummings tops out at 75-78 m.p.h.

GMCfourX4
11-11-2003, 06:02
Yes, the 6.5 is governed to ~3600 rpm, I believe. I have a 5-speed, and if you floor it in 1st (or L) gear, its pretty easy to hit it. Most of our trucks are speed limited to 97mph, although the truck should go faster... Mine's still pulling pretty well when it hits the speed limiter, and I still have a few hundred rmps left to go before the rev limiter would kick in. The Cummins motor (at least the 12v ones) is rev limited to something like 2800rpm or so, so even with overdrive, a truck geared for towing is going to run out of gears at a lower speed than ours...

-Chris

charliepeterson
11-13-2003, 20:07
Originally posted by Shad:
Does the 6.5 have a gov. I have had mine up to 3,500 rpm a few times but always wonderd?? Also had the sub's speedo needle buried a few times... Just a thought because my friends older cummings tops out at 75-78 m.p.h. Our trucks are governed by the PCM. OBD I like yours and mine are easier to change the governed speed with a simple chip swap. I've been running with a Kennedy chip for five years now. This chip increased gov. speed by 500 rpm's to 4000. It also increased fuel delivery to 78mm @WOT. 80mm is maxed out, 63mm is stock. This chip also controlls transmission shifting. With more than 60% throttle the shifts are firmer for less heat build up from clutch slipping. I've hit 100 mpr with a little more pedal to go.