PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter reloacation

Jan
08-05-2017, 18:20
Can somebody recommand a good quality oil filter relocation kit? After having issues getting filter off I`m getting tired of this. I did a search here but it did not reveil much on what to use and ther`s a lot on the net.

Still I don`t really feel the need to get the amsoil dualfilter bypass. Im okay doing more freqent oil changes. But relocating filter to frame or front of truck would work fine and most likely use standard oil filter.

a5150nut
08-05-2017, 18:34
Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.

Nessmuk
08-07-2017, 13:39
I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?

Jan
08-09-2017, 12:35
Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.

Filters should be no problem to get my hands on. Its more of a reliable oil filter relocation kit since the front axle is in the way. I need something that can last and not break down cus of cheap ebay quality.

I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?

Not quite sure what you mean but I do not like that idea..

trbankii
08-09-2017, 16:24
Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear I’m going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time I’m laying there swearing at GM engineers once again…

Dvldog8793
08-09-2017, 16:28
Howdy
I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!

arveetek
08-10-2017, 06:15
Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear I’m going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time I’m laying there swearing at GM engineers once again…

Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!! :D

Casey

94bluehd
08-12-2017, 21:14
I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.

Jan
08-15-2017, 15:46
Howdy
I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!

Thanks for feedback, gladly appreciated^^
Sadly cost and shipment with customs here just kills what it is worth for :/

Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!! :D

Casey

I need to do something then :)

I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.

Sample test will cost to much money for me to ship oversea. I usually do a oil and filter change at regular basis. Amsoil seems to have the best kit with quality compared to some of the cheaper ones. But not sure which to choose. I can`t renember size of oil filter.

Edahall
08-16-2017, 16:30
http://i66.tinypic.com/n51v69.jpg

I'm using one of these for my bypass filter. It uses toilet paper and filters the oil so well that it even filters out the black carbon.

a5150nut
08-16-2017, 18:09
Edahall

Is that a Franz filter?

My dad ran one on his truck for years.

Edahall
08-16-2017, 20:35
Edahall

Is that a Franz filter?

My dad ran one on his truck for years.

No, it's similar to the Franz but better constructed. It's a Model M-30 air compressor filter converted into an oil filter. It is much less likely to leak than the Franz filter and is exactly the right size for putting the entire roll of Scott's 1000 toilet paper.

Here's a link to this filter. Filters down to .01 micron.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-30-Submicronic-Compressed/dp/B000GI0H2M

JeepSJ
08-22-2017, 14:06
No, it's similar to the Franz but better constructed. It's a Model M-30 air compressor filter converted into an oil filter. It is much less likely to leak than the Franz filter and is exactly the right size for putting the entire roll of Scott's 1000 toilet paper.

Here's a link to this filter. Filters down to .01 micron.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-30-Submicronic-Compressed/dp/B000GI0H2M

What don't you like about the Frantz?

How do you meter how much oil goes through the bypass?

Edahall
08-22-2017, 20:15
What don't you like about the Frantz?

How do you meter how much oil goes through the bypass?

I had a hard time keeping the Franz filter leak free. It had a tendency to leak around the bottom rubber gasket.

Oil flow is controlled by an orifice.

JeepSJ
08-23-2017, 17:00
I had a hard time keeping the Franz filter leak free. It had a tendency to leak around the bottom rubber gasket.

Oil flow is controlled by an orifice.

Is the orifice part of the filter already or did you add something to it? I'm wanting to do a bypass filter and that looks like a great option, especially since it can just take a full roll of TP. So any other details you have on the install?