PDA

View Full Version : Putting a 05 lly into my 06 lbz k3500 what has to be changed?

Wiledcoyote
07-13-2017, 13:57
My 06 k3500 had 0 compression on #4 cyl and 150lbs #6 the rest where 350+ truck had 200,000 miles
So bought a used 2005 lly motor .
What do I need to change to make it work?
Anything I should do before I swap getting ready to pull the lbz out ,
Thanks for your help

More Power
07-17-2017, 11:34
The fuel injection systems are different, if I remember correctly, so you'll need the complete '06 fuel injection system transferred to the '05. Or... convert the truck's existing '06 system to an LLY.

Kennedy
07-20-2017, 06:47
It can be done, but the question is why? The LBZ is one of the more sought after powertrains. due to advanced fuel and ECM without the emissions of the LMM.

LLY=Delphi electronics with injectors driven via remote FICM
LBZ= Bosch electronics with injectors driven directly from the ECM

If you do the LLY you will either need to run the full LLY electronics or at a minimum swap out the reluctor wheel as the LB7/LLY had a different tooth count than the LBZ/LMM.

huntertownsen
07-08-2020, 08:13
I know this is a hight undesirable swap, but I bought a non running 06, I am new to duramax. I did not realize there is an lly motor in a lbz truck. I have no idea what has been done to truck before I purchased it. Right now I have a no start condition. What would I need to do to make this LLy work? It looks like some of the parts are lbz, air intake , glow plug controller etc, all of the wiring was plugged in with what looks like the proper proper harness connectors etc. Idk if they swapped harnesses or what has happened tbh. Is there anyway to make this motor work , or should I start looking for a complete lbz set up?
TIA

JohnC
07-08-2020, 08:57
If you bought an early 2006 it actually has the LBZ engine and electronics detuned to LLY specs. The Fall of 2005 was a big "employee pricing for everyone" sale period and the power (programming) of the '06 LBZ was delayed until after the sale was over. All you need is LBZ software to make that '06 LLY into the real thing.