PDA

View Full Version : Reliability with performance mods.

gymcarm
11-08-2003, 13:09
I have had this thought for quite some time. I have read about the crank failures, cooling problems, FSD (etc.) problems, blown head gaskets, and so on. I have a 96 Suburban K2500 that is basically stock. I would like to use it to tow my 29' TT, but don't think it would have enough power.

The performance mods that are discussed here involve various tricks that all add significant stress to the crankshaft, among other parts of the system. I am worried about the performance upgrades causing expensive failures. In the gasser community, you can upgrade the bottom end with forged and balanced cranks, girdles, 4 bolt mains, and so on. Are there any such upgrades for the 6.5?

It is obvious to me that this engine can be made to pull HARD. I am just wondering about the long term reliability. I also realize that forums like this are naturally a collection of people that are having problems and seeking solutions.

I have also got a 99 F250 with the Powersmoke. I like the ford a lot. It just doesn't have the room for my family of 5 on a road trip.

We seem to have good solutions for everything except the bottom end.

I hope my ramblings are not confusing. I am just trying to grasp the whole picture before I start modifying this Sub. My wife loves her truck and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks...

jspringator
11-08-2003, 14:42
I think most mods probably add to engine life. My fan clutch keeps in cooler than stock. An intercooler would make it run cooler still. I have an EGT guage so I can back off the throttle if things get too hot. My free flow exhaust helps the engine get rid of heat. It is true that the boost controller adds the potential for heat, but the other systems let this be done safely.

cudaaa
11-08-2003, 15:15
From what I have gathered from this sight is the cranks are strong enough for most of the mods!
The problems usually stem from a bad harmonic balancer! Vibration will kill the crank! I believe there is a write up on this in the members area! Hope this helps cudaaa

tom.mcinerney
11-08-2003, 16:56
Splayed main caps , and girdles are available.
It's true that usually when up performance you generate more heat and other stress. A low restriction exhaust and intercooler both tend to cool&up performance. Cooling system maintenance, electrical maintenance, fuel maintenance, and boost+ EGT gages are prudent if want to increase load on a 7-year old vehicle.
John Kennedy is completely knowledgeable supplier upgrade components.
Excessive timing advance, excessive boost[and low boost], excessive heat can trash the machine.

gymcarm
11-09-2003, 09:12
I found the article on harmonic dampeners and crank failures. I have also read some posts that suggest that the dampeners and pulleys are not the root cause...

How many miles do you folks have on "hot rod" 6.5's?

Thanks for the input. When it is time to start modifying, I will definitely begin with cooling...EVERYTHING. Heat is definitely the enemy.

More Power
11-09-2003, 11:12
Uprated 6.5TD durability??

Try these links:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/finale.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/chrispp.htm

MP