PDA

View Full Version : Baby Won't Start!

Hoagy
11-08-2003, 11:17
Hi all,

Just went out to start up my truck and she turns over but won't start. She's a 96 2500 6.5l turbo. I had the FSD replaced last year after having the stalling experience many have had. I didn't get the FSD unit to move it away from the manifold because I found out about it after the fact. Anyways, I have'nt had any problems with her stalling a few other things going on not related. I did change the fuel filter about 8 months ago. I do have a check engine light on and had it tested at Autozone and the guy said it returned a P0380 which he said was a bad glow plug on circuit A, still don't know where circuit A is?? Anyways back to my original gripe, it sounds like the fuel pump is still on after the wait to start engine light goes off. Any help much appreciated.

Jason

Hoagy
11-08-2003, 11:35
Just want to add another thing, I noticed the Wait to Start light does not come on??

JohnC
11-08-2003, 15:31
sounds like the glow plugs are not working. This makes it very difficult to start, especially with the recent cold snap in the east. Check the connections on the glow plug relay for tightness. Check to see if you hear the relay click when you turn the ignition switch on.

Hoagy
11-09-2003, 09:12
I do hear the relay click when i turn on the ignition. Still the wait to start light is not comming on. Could this be a matter of just changing the glow plugs and if so does anyone have any tips or istructions. I was able to start it with a little ether and my wife turning her over before spraying.

Thanks again!

Hoagy
11-09-2003, 09:27
I do hear the relay click when i turn on the ignition. Still the wait to start light is not comming on. Could this be a matter of just changing the glow plugs and if so does anyone have any tips or istructions. I was able to start it with a little ether and my wife turning her over before spraying.

Thanks again!

Hoagy
11-09-2003, 11:17
Sorry about the double post..fat fingers. Well i was going through the different posts and located the relay next to the firewall, all i did was make sure connections were tight and now the wait to start light comes on.. Going to keep my eye on it, still think i need glow plugs changed.

twaddle
11-09-2003, 16:07
Hi Hoagy,
You are getting the same symptoms as Dennis22, I also used to get the exact same until earlier this year.

Check out all Ground cable connections heavy duty and light ones. Strip clean and grease them.
It may be something minor thats causing.

Also check out Dennis22 post.

Regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

Hoagy
11-09-2003, 18:19
Gotcha,
Will check it out and thanks for the feedback.

ucdavis
11-10-2003, 09:08
You can check your bank of 8 glow plugs to see if all or many of them are toast:
Test @ controller relay: should have batt volts across two large terminals w/key off, ~10.5V w/key on & controller snapped into action (you should hear loud click when controller solenoid actuates). The 10.5V should vary if you have burned out plugs; more burned out plugs = higher volts (less resistance). Batt voltage w/controller snapped on indicates zero plugs drawing amerage.

Barry Nave
11-10-2003, 17:04
Test glow plugs
Use a test lite, unplug each glow term and hook test lite to battery. Touch glow plug. if lite does not come on then plug is dead.

mike micklich
11-15-2003, 02:31
i was jumping the glow soleniod for a while to get it to start. you could try that to see if that is really working