PDA

View Full Version : No interior lights.

DieselAddict
01-03-2017, 05:36
Hey. Just tryna get some direction on the lighting issue. With my 96 6.5. That's been buggin the **** outta me for months. Kinda sucks wearing a headlamp every time I drive the thing. I've pulled the light fixtures off. N used a wire tester on the orange and white wires. (Didn't know which to ground so I did em all) and I didn't find any power in any of em. Both rear and front lights. (Crew cab) there's also no sign of any kind of damage to the fixtures and wiring. My voltmeter ain't workin so couldn't check for any kinda current in em. I've been looking for answers with no luck. Most ppl are saying their lights won't shut off. Which is the total opposite of Wut I'm looking for. And I think I've tried everything that I could find on the web. From fuses. To wiggling the harness under the driverside dash. I've been looking for wire routes off the ceiling. Without tearing the paneling n ceiling apart. But haven't found any yet. So if I can get a lil help with this. That'd be great. Just a lil satifaction of fixing sum'em. Would be great. Although my truck has deeper issues with it then just interior lighting.

trbankii
01-03-2017, 06:06
First thought would be the dash switch. I know I’ve wondered what was going on a few times only to find that I had bumped the dash switch and turned the lights off. Next thought would be a worn out door switch.

Robyn
01-03-2017, 09:27
As TRB said

Dash switch.

The door switches are only a ground for the system.

The wires should be Orange and White

White is the ground wire

Use a VOM and check the orange wire, you should have 12 volts between any orange in the light system to chassis ground (Body)

If no voltage then go to the dash switch and check for voltage there.

If no voltage there then trace back to fuse panel

BE SURE FUSES ARE GOOD BEFORE TEARING TRUCK APART :)

If you have 12 volts at orange wire to ground then check (With all doors open) the white wire to ground.

White should show continuity to ground (Full meter reading on ohms setting)

If no reading then check out the white wire back to the ground buss.

A single bad door switch should not cause an issue other than at the particular door.

The driver door switch is a double pole single throw and also operates the door chime/buzzer
The other door/s only use a single pole single throw switch

Give it ago and see whatcha get.

Robyn