PDA

View Full Version : Need Part 23500374 crossover for 94 Burb

alexsar01
12-22-2016, 10:59
Hi, I need to find part # 23500374. I was trying to fix a leak at the fitting and over tightened the hose fitting and broke the piece. Can anyone help? Can this part be welded epoxied or ? back together. It looks like its made of aluminum or some other lightweight metal.

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2016, 11:45
Welcome aboard!

Which hose were you tightening?

Do you need the ENTIRE thermostat housing assy? (the part # you posted)

Or just the heater hose fitting? The heater hose fitting can be had at your local parts chain, often in the "HELP" blister package display. More difficult may be getting all the old pieces out. You can also use a more common/standard barbed nipple (I forget the actual NPT/MPT size), and bypass the quick-connector completely. Seal the new (whatever) in with RTV.

The stat housing is all aluminum. The hose fitting is pot metal, or something like that. Don't bother trying to repair it.

alexsar01
12-22-2016, 18:11
Thank you, yes I am looking for the entire part#23500374. This is the crossover coolant housing. The only part that I want would not need on this part is the thermostat housing. Mine is fine. I broke the crossover when I discovered a leak on the heater hose fitting opening and over tightened the fitting thinking that the leak would be able to stopped that way. I thought it was a compression fitting. I have removed the crossover part# 23500374 and I may be able to epoxy it back together but if I can find the entire part that may be better?? I'm pretty good at breaking and then fixing what I broke. (very experienced at that - almost a pro - haha). I already got the heater pipe out and removed it from the fitting. I also ordered the clip that holds the pipe and fitting together. The pipe, fitting and clip are fine. The housing is now in 2 pieces at the heater hose side.

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2016, 22:21
I'm still not clear on what you actually broke. A crossover broken in two pieces doesn't click, as it would obviously be non-repairable with goo. The housing is cast aluminum and can be welded. Can you post a picture? Or, send it/them to the email in my sig. and I'll post it.

alexsar01
12-23-2016, 08:46
Thanks, the crossover piece broke right at the heater hose fitting when I over tightened. You said aluminum can be welded. I though that you needed special welding equipment for that? That's why I mention epoxy. Just in case I don't respond quickly enough I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

arveetek
12-23-2016, 09:10
Since the actual crossover broke, I would recommend upgrading the crossover to the dual-thermostat version used on 1997 and later models.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/coolingmods.cfm

Casey

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2016, 09:17
Ah. It's clear, now. That's ugly. No to epoxy, there.

Welding aluminum requires the skill, more so than special equipment. About any welding shop can handle that, if that's what you do. I don't recommend a DIY, if you don't already know how. I suggest searching eBay and wrecking yards to start with, and weld as a last resort. If you weld it, it may be better to close the hole, and weld on a new boss for the heater nipple. I don't see any success with epoxy or J-B Weld.

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2016, 09:20
Then there's this. Perhaps a better idea.

Since the actual crossover broke, I would recommend upgrading the crossover to the dual-thermostat version used on 1997 and later models.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/coolingmods.cfm

Casey

trbankii
12-23-2016, 11:13
I’d TIG it back together. Then again, I have a TIG welder… If you have a small, local welding shop, they should be able to put it back together for you and cost you a lot less than the dual-thermostat setup.

But you should be able to find a used replacement for less than either of those options - possibly from someone doing the dual-thermostat upgrade.

alexsar01
12-23-2016, 11:58
Thanks to everyone out there. I just looked at the Kennedy Diesel site and wow $500 plus s&h. I really enjoy driving this vehicle. I am the 2nd/3rd owner of this vehicle. The 1st and 2nd owners were a father/son combo. I'm not sure what I should do. The vehicle has been very well taken care by me and the former owners. I have owned it for appx 5 yrs now. It has 265k miles on it right now and I'm not sure what the lifespan of this vehicle could be if regular maintenance is kept up properly as it currently. I just spent $ on a deep trans pan with a cooler. I really am planning on keeping this vehicle for as long as I can but am concerned about putting good money into bad. Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated. The harmonic balancer has been changed, A PMD is on the bumper, all fluids changed out on time since new. Very little towing during its life. Tranny shifts better than new. Merry Christmas (I am allowed to say that right? haha) and a Happy New Year to everyone. I see on the bottom of posts what people own. How can I have that in my posts as we own 4 diesel cars and 2 tractors and I would own more if they were available in the USA.

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2016, 12:26
The info that appears at the bottom of our posts is called a Signature. You can add/edit your Signature (among other parts of your profile/settings) after clicking the User CP link at the upper/left of each TDP forum page. You must be logged in. This is very common for most discussion forum websites. Simple and concise details is most helpful.

trbankii
12-23-2016, 12:45
Well, I just put about $2K into rebuilding a bunch of things on my ’93 K2500 - cab mounts, brakes, rear springs, and more. I know I’d spend a lot more than $2K to buy something else comparable. So I’d certainly be in the camp of fixing the truck.

eBay looks to have what you need for about $100 to $150 if you can’t find anything at a local salvage yard. A local weldor may be a somewhat cheaper alternative.

alexsar01
12-23-2016, 12:56
Looked on E-bay, no luck. Junkyards if they have don't want to remove off of engine, part disco'd at GM. Thank you.

alexsar01
12-23-2016, 12:58
Will also try local welder. Thank you.

a5150nut
12-23-2016, 17:37
Go to top blue bar. left side, UserCP and in there you can create your signature and add a pic

trbankii
12-24-2016, 07:56
Looked on E-bay, no luck. Junkyards if they have don't want to remove off of engine, part disco'd at GM. Thank you.

One on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-GMC-SIERRA-CHEVY-SILVERADO-6-5-TURBO-DIESEL-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-/182358662725

Another one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5L-GM-DIESEL-COMPLETE-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-PART-NUMBER-23500374-/112245617412

Robyn
12-24-2016, 08:58
I just checked and those xovers are on ebay still

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-GMC-SIERRA-CHEVY-SILVERADO-6-5-TURBO-DIESEL-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-/182358662725?hash=item2a756c5e45:g:g10AAOSw5cNYL3j 0&vxp=mtr

trbankii
12-24-2016, 13:52
Yep, that’s the first link I posted.

Col.Tanner
12-31-2016, 16:58
Did you find one?