PDA

View Full Version : Mushy brakes

svcattle
11-26-2016, 00:57
What causes mushy brakes and growling noise when I push the brakes really hard they growl ?
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2016, 01:21
Low fluid and air in the system. Look for leaks. A hard stomp should produce a "hiss", if all is well. Growling and mussy pedal usually means air.

trbankii
11-26-2016, 06:57
^^This.

When was the last time you changed the fluid and bled the brakes?

svcattle
11-26-2016, 13:48
Just changed the front brakes I've not added a drop of fluid in 30,000 miles

trbankii
11-26-2016, 14:33
Not a matter of adding fluid. It’s a question of how long since it was last flushed and filled - since it absorbs water over time.

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2016, 16:01
There are two sides to your brake system. The static/service side, as discussed above, and the dynamic/hydroboost side. Air in either can cause what you describe, while "growling" is more likely the power steering pump or hydroboost, or low fluid. If the service end is OK, then look at the other.

If you "just" performed service on a system, and it "just" began having issues, look closely at what you serviced, regardless of how "unlikely" it may seem.

svcattle
11-26-2016, 18:06
It's done it ever since I bought it just had the wheel off so I could change the block heater and noticed the brake pads were bad so I threw a new set on

svcattle
11-26-2016, 18:14
What's a good way to flush the brake fluid

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2016, 22:56

Either use a vacuum pump, or the two-person method (one pumps the pedal, the other bleeds). Keep the reservoir full, either way.

Barerra
11-27-2016, 05:49

There are basically few ways to do it. You can do it in your own garage and ask someone to pump the brake pedal to drain the old fluid from the system. There is also a hand pump pressure bleeder tool, to make the job easier. Otherwise you can take your truck to a shop and they will change it for you using a powerflush machine - it's certainly the easiest way to do so.
There's a good article that describes the DIY process in case you decide to go this route: Why is it important to do a brake fluid flush? (https://www.carid.com/articles/why-is-it-important-to-do-brake-fluid-flush.html)