PDA

View Full Version : Injector pump problems

chuckf
11-07-2003, 06:35
My 97 6.5TD started hard one morning this past week (temp 50's) and I couldn't drive over 30mph. I drove the vehicle later in the morning and the problem was gone. I had a repair shop check the fault codes and here is what he reported. Codes P0251 injection pump 'A' rotor/cam problem, P0236 boost sensor 1 out of range, P1216 Fuel solenoid response time too short. They recommend replacing the injection pump. Cost $2400 (parts $1600 labor $800). Do these codes indicate the pump is going or is it something else? Where can I buy an injector pump if one is needed? How difficut is it to replace? Do I need special tools? Do I have to have the timing checked after installation using special scan tool? Is there a written step by step procedure for replacing the injector pump? As always your help is greatly appreciated.

jonflies
11-07-2003, 07:52
You may want to read through a few of the posts about the FSD/PMD etc, which catalog the long history of the 6.5 inj. pump saga. You should add a post to the survey, listed on the menu shortly after your post. Is it under warranty?

chuckf
11-07-2003, 13:30
Jon,
Thanks. I have been reading the posts. I also added one to the survey.

gmctd
11-07-2003, 15:25
Check air filter for boost out of range. That one is manifold pressure sensor.
Check fuel filter for response time short. IP could be starving, pumping air.

All three failures are from sensors that work on +5v source from the PCM.
While up there, check all harness connections back to the firewall.
Check the battery connections and grounding.

Cool weather is when ignition problems will surface.