PDA

View Full Version : DTC 97 Code

Carlo
11-02-2016, 00:44
I have had this code on my engine for a long time, DTC 97 #7 cylinder balance fault, and I cannot find out why. I have changed the injectors, changed the glow plugs checked the valve train, relocated and installed a new PDM. The thing is the engine runs good and when I first start it, the check engine light is off. If it just sits and idles the check engine light stays off. When I start to drive after about 5 minutes it comes on. I have literally driven thousands of miles and it seems fine but the check engine light is on. I have 260,000 miles on my truck, its a 1995 2500 extended cab 4x4.
Anyone have any ideas of what i could try to figure this out it has me stumped.
Carlo :(

Robyn
11-02-2016, 07:31
Hi

Sounds like it could be an issue in the IP

TRY adding a couple quarts of auto tranny fluid to the fuel tank fill up or maybe a bit more say a full gallon of ATF with a fill and run the thing and see if the issue changes or goes away.

Keep us in the loop

Robyn

Carlo
11-02-2016, 22:17
Thanks Robyn I'll give it a try. A whole gallon eh! OK !
Carlo

Carlo
12-16-2016, 08:56
It worked for awhile but then the code came back. In the mean time I bought a 1998 crewcab dually, so I'm going to retire my 1995. I need to change my vacuum pump, I'm wondering if I should just go to a manual wastegate? I have an engine that still runs if someone needs one, it does have 260,000 miles on it.

arveetek
12-16-2016, 12:43
In the mean time I bought a 1998 crewcab dually, so I'm going to retire my 1995. I need to change my vacuum pump, I'm wondering if I should just go to a manual wastegate?.

I deleted the vacuum pump on my 1995 and replaced it with a Turbo Master manual wastegate. It controlled the boost just fine, however the ECM did not like losing control of the boost, and kept putting the system into limp mode (defueling and cutting power). I had to install a Kennedy Diesel chip inside the ECM to correct that problem. Runs great now, and I wouldn't have it any other way (except for maybe a manual DB2 injection pump instead!).

I think deleting the vacuum pump and adding a manual wastegate controller is a good idea, but be aware that you may have to also perform other mods to get full value out of that system and keep the computer happy.

Casey