PDA

View Full Version : 1997 6.5 TD. Losing power around 30MPH. Idles fine.

Jrose
10-24-2016, 07:47
Good morning all.

1997 chevrolet 3500
4x4 automatic 4l80E
167,000 miles

Truck has been great. Have had little issues with motor since I have owned it. About 8 years. PMD has been relocated. New one approximately 2 years ago.

After driving all day yesterday. Stopped to talk with a buddy for about 20 minutes. Left Truck running having no problems.

After I left his driveway the truck lost serious power at about 30 MPh. Eventually stalled out. Threw it in neutral and it fired up but ran very rough. Pulled over put her in park and started up again. Ran rough for a moment but after slightly reving her up smoothed out and I was off again. About 1 mile down the road, same story. Pulled over to put in park and the transmission linkeage went out. I had nothing on the steering column. Got under her and attached linkeage back up while a buddy held in park. Drove off with no issues. Later that day after running a few errands same story. Linkage stayed attached. But no power and stalling out. Eventually I could not get her to fire at all.

Started it today and it started rough but the idled fine. Go to drive down the,road and same story. Again it idles perfect.

Let it warm up for a while and drove it about 15 miles to my shop. No issues.

Any clues would be helpful.

The transmission was rebuilt about 3 years ago.

Is there a positioning sensor or something along those lines that may have been out of whack?