PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1995 Chevy 2500 suburban 4wd

j7l2
09-06-2016, 11:14
Has been running fine. Has 226,000 on body, 60,000 on motor and trans, both were new not rebuilds from GM. New (jasper rebuild) injection pump 2 yrs ago. Remote mounted PMD from Heath.

Today after driving 10 miles it did a very heavy miss or shudder, pretty hard. A few more 100 yards and it would surge ahead like it wanted to run away, but would settle down and run fine for a few more feet. This scenario kept up until I turned around and headed home. Truck also new fuel lines and new fuel tank and fuel pickup last Dec. Never turned on the SES light or set any codes. Fuel filter was new in Dec.

Any body have any ideas? The mechanic I know that was a 6.5 tech says its either an air leak or bad optical sensor on pump. He wants to replace pump for another $2500.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Jim Orr

JohnC
09-06-2016, 13:06
This scenario kept up until I turned around and headed home.

Obviously, it just wanted to go home instead of wherever you were taking it.

Seriously, did it behave on the way home? If so, could be a fuel filter, lift pump/OPS, loose connection.... Look for the simple stuff first.

(If not, it could still be the simple stuff!)

j7l2
09-06-2016, 16:40
Yes, it did the same things until I was 3 miles from home. Tomorrow I will check the lift pump to see if it is working and I will change the fuel filter. I will also do a visual check on the new fuel lines from front to back. I really don't want to spend the money on another injection pump.

Thanks for your input.

James orr

Dvldog8793
09-06-2016, 17:20
Howdy
Might want to check the fuel sock in the tank. It's a PITA but might be the problem. The cheaper ones will age and then collapse quickly and could cause some surging like you describe.
good Luck!