PDA

View Full Version : 95 2500 siezed pump

Shouldaboughtaferd
08-01-2016, 18:13
I have a 95 Chevy 2500 6.5 td. Has 199k on it. I've owned it going on 3 years now and have had all the classic ip problems. I've used the info on these forums to trouble shoot and test many parts of the fuel system. On Friday night I found a guy with a year 2000 express van being parted out. Thinking it was a mechanical pump Na van I was excited and made a phone call. Turns out it was a turbo van but the pump was said to be two years old and not a reman pump so I paid 300 for it. Installed it that night and set off on a long trip from Tampa to Melbourne FL. Never made it out of Tampa. The injection pump siezed and sheared the key on the flange that bolts to the cam plate. My question is what could cause this? The truck was running when I swapped the pump it just had a hard start issue once warm that was rectified b pouring cold water directly on the pump so I knew it was going out. My return line from the pump where it makes that sharp turn down to the hard line had a kink in it. Could it be possible that the pump just ran dry from not being able to move the fuel? It had plenty of fuel in the pump. (I disassembled it as far as I could) there was no clamp on the return line so I would think it would just blow off.. the truck only made it 23 miles but the guy won't give me my money back so I guess it's a lesson learned.

john8662
08-02-2016, 08:13
The act of pouring cold water on an injection pump is a clear indication it was a bad pump. It's very possible the head/rotor seized, possibly because of the external water situation. The pump could have had water in it as well from the van.

Shouldaboughtaferd
08-02-2016, 09:26
The pump that siezed was not the pump that needed the water once it was hot. That's why I changed the pump. The one that siezed was bought used. It is a 2 year old stanadyne bought brand new from the dealer with approximately 50k miles on it.

Kennedy
08-03-2016, 07:41
FYI Stanadyne is ditching the whole DS thing so new DS4 pumps will soon be a thing of the past. We put some in stock to hopefully carry us for a while.

If your pump was new and seized I would question your fuel quality/bio content. Since it was used and likely sat it could have varnished severely or seen abuse in it's former life.

Shouldaboughtaferd
08-03-2016, 11:17
I appreciate the response. The pump came off of a work van that had dropped a valve on cylinder 4 and had only been down for a few weeks. I can't imagine the pump being varnished from that. I tried to take the pump apart to see what happened (I assume a siezed rotor is beyond repair) and it was full of diesel fuel. Like I said my return line coming off the pump into the main hard return line that goes back to the tank had a kink in it but I wouldn't expect that would cause this.. the truck fired right up when I got done with the install. It never ran as good as it was right up until it siezed. Fresh full tank from shell. Lift pump is new and wired straight to the ignition. I plan to send my old pump to be rebuilt cause I'm sick of ip problems but I don't want to install a new rebuilt pump and have it sieze for the same reason. From what I've gathered the only things that could cause this is poor fuel quality or a lack of fuel. Since I was running down the highway at 3k rpms with no surging or anything I think I had plenty of fuel. Should I drain my tank and get new fuel?

trbankii
08-03-2016, 12:34
FYI Stanadyne is ditching the whole DS thing so new DS4 pumps will soon be a thing of the past. We put some in stock to hopefully carry us for a while.

Wish I had the bankroll to put a couple on the shelf for future use...

Warren96
08-11-2016, 06:45
If the return line is kinked as you say , how could you possibly get enough air out
of the system to start it? It had to be a beotch (Excuse my spelling) to get all that air out!!

Shouldaboughtaferd
08-14-2016, 10:32
I don't know if it was kinked the whole time or it did it while I was driving. After putting the pump in it cranked for 10 seconds and fired off. No bleeding or anything.