PDA

View Full Version : Hey new here and to 6.2 diesels having a major problem

89v3500
07-27-2016, 03:48
I just picked up this truck 89 crew cab 6.2 62k on her. Driving home oil line blew apart on the highway pulled over fixed it and refilled now it's has a knock that's all over the place and engine is run real rough like its goin to jump out of the motor mounts. Wud the loss of oil kill injectors almost sounds like a rod knock but it's not insink with the motor turning unless the rpms go up. Please help

arveetek
07-27-2016, 07:11
Unfortunately, it sounds like you have major internal damage to the engine. Loss of oil pressure at road speeds will cause major damage in a hurry. Loss of oil pressure will not affect the injectors or fuel system, but it will cause bearing damage. You will most likely need to pull the engine and tear it down for inspection to see what all is damaged.

Casey

89v3500
07-27-2016, 07:45
I put oil in and pressure came right up. I kno a gas motor knock but it almost sounds like something is hitting metal but completely off beat wit the engine firing

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2016, 08:03
Much depends on how long it ran after the line blew. If you shut it down immediately, within a few seconds, it may not be damaged. What you describe could be any number of issues, including a broken crank.

Does it crank and start normally? What noises does it make when cranking? Disconnect the injection pump electrical connector (forward/top pink wire) and crank it. Keep the batteries charged. Removing all/some glow plugs will help, as it will reduce compression while cranking.

89v3500
07-27-2016, 08:07
It random pattern is like it hits once then nothing then hits twice hits twice again nothing then hits once but u rev it up it almost sounds like the fan is slapping something

89v3500
07-27-2016, 08:09
Starts fine doesn't feel like a lose of power I shut it down within 30-45 seconds I forgot to mention wen I popped the hood ac and alt belts were shot off

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2016, 08:13
It is doubtful due to the timing of events, but it's possible you have multiple issues. Start by removing the belts. That will eliminate the accessories as causes. You need to locate the source of the noise.

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2016, 08:15
Starts fine doesn't feel like a lose of power I shut it down within 30-45 seconds I forgot to mention wen I popped the hood ac and alt belts were shot off

You need to find out why the belts were off. Oil loss alone won't cause that. Go back to basics. Remove all the belts. Maybe that noise that sounds like the fan, is the fan.

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2016, 08:17
Check the crank pulley. It is rubber isolated, and will make one helluva racket when they fail. Might sound like something banging around under the hood.

89v3500
07-27-2016, 08:25
I mean the engine looks like it wants to jump out unbalanced motor I just don't get the miss fire sound without the lack of power

Dvldog8793
07-27-2016, 10:10
Howdy
If the broken line blew oil on the pulleys it is possible that caused all the belts to come off(v belts?)
Or...
Where did the oil line rupture? Was it up front by the power steering system? Possible that when your belts went they took out the already old and weak oil line....? If the crank pulley is shot that could throw all the belts.
Like DMAX said, verify by removing the belts and cranking over fast.
30-45 seconds is a long time to run with the oil blowing out the line.
If the rubber mounted crank pulley is good then I would bet for internal damage.

Good luck!

89v3500
07-27-2016, 11:13
They r v belts and the cooler line was in front of the fan in the shroud after market cool the guy put in. I really didn't wanna hear internal damage I shudve stuck wit my has jobbers this sucks

Dvldog8793
07-27-2016, 12:38
Was it an aluminum line that runs across the radiator in the shroud?

89v3500
07-27-2016, 12:45
Ya but the guy cut the alum line and put hose there that split in half

Dvldog8793
07-27-2016, 13:22
IMHO-
The oil caused the belts to come off and you might have internal damage.
Check like DMAX said, but I bet the noise doesn't go away with everything un-belted.

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2016, 13:34
That isn't how they typically fail. Usually, they just blow apart near the tube/hose swaged coupling. Depending on how it was ran and shut down, there may be some hope. A slow(er) loss is vastly better than a complete and immediate loss. If the rough running only began after the repair, something may have been "disturbed" in the process. I suggest returning to basics, and troubleshoot it from the beginning. If it doesn't have catastrophic damage, I think you'll likely find something simple. Before any further cranking or running attempts, I recommend removing the crank balancer bolt and BE SURE the key hasn't sheared. If it has, the timing is off, and perhaps enough to beat up pistons with valves. The engine has ZERO clearance. Again, start the process with all the belts removed.

trbankii
07-27-2016, 15:04
Ya but the guy cut the alum line and put hose there that split in half

Why was the aluminum line cut? I’m guessing the “replacement” hose wasn’t rated at enough pressure and failed. Sounds like someone had no idea what they were doing...

89v3500
07-27-2016, 15:55
Ya I just got the truck and the guy put a new rad in and the factory lines wudnt bolt up so he got an aftermarket autozone one and he cut the alum line and put rub attachment soon as i saw it I pulled off fixed the line added rottela started it up and was shaking the motor like crazy and missing pulled around the parking lot figuring oil just had to get around had plenty of power but still had a kno King sound I'm used to gas motors and u normally lose power this didn't feel like that at all but I didn't like the sound so I called a hooker.

89v3500
07-27-2016, 15:59
And I was babying the truck down the highway about 50 taking it slow since I was 2 1/2 hours away right lane and everything oil pressure is still around 40 revved up and low can't tell with the factory gauge just not zero

Tanaga
10-02-2016, 08:26
Please give us an update.