PDA

View Full Version : 2000 C3500 Project Questions

StylerColfax
07-15-2016, 16:47
Hello All
This is my first post. This site was recommended by a friend who is a big GM 6.2/6.5 lover. A little background on myself. I have owned many diesel powered cars and trucks. I currently drive a 2014 TDI Jetta. I have owned a few different 300TD Benz and I had a 6.0 power stroke that was tons of fun. I work on most of my own stuff but have learned when my tools / knowledge / time are limited and have a trusted local shop help me out.

I have recently purchased my first 6.5 turbo powered truck. It is a well used 2000 C3500 Cab Chassis. 2wd / Auto with 292K miles. It is a crew cab with a service body, which is going to be removed in favor of a flat bed. Vinyl bench and vinyl floor. I purchased the truck running but it had pushed a couple of freeze plugs out over last winter. I had the shop replace the freeze plugs and block heater, thermostats, and pressure check the system to make sure I did not have a cracked block. I also replaced the batteries. Also filter and oil change. Truck run and starts but the rear main seal is leaking along with various other leaks. Transmission shifts fine but not great in my opinion.

Previous owner said the truck was used by an " employee " and was not taken care as it should. According to him they put an injection pump on it along with a BD Diesel PD relocation kit bolted to the intake. So my knowledge of the service history is limited to the above.

Truck will be used as a truck. We have plans to buy a camper or upgrade our 18' center console to a bigger boat in the future. My wife requests that it be reliable. I have a $3500 dollar budget and looking for opinions on the best use of the money. I have looked at all the main 6.5 Diesel performance/parts vendors.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to provide as much info and possible for everyone to help. Thanks in advance.

DickWells
07-15-2016, 18:19
Sounds like a nice project. Don't know that it would apply to you, or even that you'd want to consider it, but the best thing I ever did to my 6.5 Suburban, was to change out my timing set to phazer timing gears. Engine always felt and sounded a lot more solid, and I've never had to be concerned about chain wear and stretch. Not cheap, as I think the price was well over $300, back about 2001-2, but well worth it to me.
I have the large Speerco intercooler in it. Big Banks exhaust, KN filter, deep aluminum transmission pan and diff. cover. IIRC, I once figured that I had put close to 5 grand into it, which included a new 4911 mechanical pump, but I have never regretted it. Seems like there's no limit to what you could spend on one of these things. You'll already have the 99+ cooling improvements, and, (I think) the block is an up-grade, too.
It was funny, but a pleasant surprise to me, that when I put in the 99 dual thermostats and crossover parts, I expected to lose my amazingly fast warm-up, but that aspect never changed. In cold weather, the thing will be throwing warm air within a mile, and hot air in short order.
We just put ours back on the road this Summer, and we're all enjoying it again.
Good luck with your "new" 6.5.

DW