PDA

View Full Version : ARB AirLocker, PosiLock ?

DA BIG ONE
10-14-2004, 15:31
I see ARB make the air locker for the larger 14 bolt 9.25" IFS differential, about $1,500.+ installed.

Then there is the Posi Lock which is engaged manually, about $170. and one hour install.

Big price spread, and wondering if both units do the same thing?

Does the posi lock make this IFS diff a locker, or?

norm
10-14-2004, 18:51
Posi-Lok does not make (front) diff. into a locking diff. It is only for manually engaging the front axle in 4x4 (it replaces the electric actuator). It will still operate as open. Other than manual positive control, another advantage is that you can use your transfer case low range in two wheel drive if you need to without engaging the front axle. If you are going in and out of 4x4, you don't have to disengage this each time you shift your transfer case (a bit like the manual locking hubs idea).

I have one on the shelf to install soon, so I can't give a complete opinion on it.

DA BIG ONE
10-15-2004, 00:48
Originally posted by norm:
Posi-Lok does not make (front) diff. into a locking diff. It is only for manually engaging the front axle in 4x4 (it replaces the electric actuator). It will still operate as open. Other than manual positive control, another advantage is that you can use your transfer case low range in two wheel drive if you need to without engaging the front axle. If you are going in and out of 4x4, you don't have to disengage this each time you shift your transfer case (a bit like the manual locking hubs idea).

I have one on the shelf to install soon, so I can't give a complete opinion on it. Thanks, I now have a better understanding of Posi-Lok.

I will have the ARB installed in about 2 weeks with the Posi-Lok.

norm
10-15-2004, 17:02
I think I'm jealous. That ARB is gonna be slick! Are you going to do both ends while you're at it?

DA BIG ONE
10-15-2004, 23:28
Originally posted by norm:
I think I'm jealous. That ARB is gonna be slick! Are you going to do both ends while you're at it? The rear is already a 14 bolt FF w/locker with good manners in all weather conditions, the front lacks everything it should be, so, the airlocker which I think should be standard on any real 4wd.

That 14 bolt 9.25" IFS 4wd diff is pretty stout and I am sure up to the task w/locker.