PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover breather??

svcattle
04-26-2016, 22:01
So I pulled the air intake off the turbo and found oil so I got to looking the valve cover is plugged into the intake tube on the turbo is there any reason it needs to stay below is the http://youtu.be/Gn5dHKL5kxs

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2016, 23:46
A little oil residue (condensed oil vapor) is normal in the intake. Excessive oil in the intake can indicate serious problems (excessive blow-by, failed CDR (very rare), overfill, etc.). If the engine has EGR (light duty, L56 engine), this can complicate the condition and cause excessive sludge in the intake plenum over many miles.

The CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) is necessary to maintain a slight vacuum on the crankcase, while preventing too much vacuum. This is necessary to keep the seals healthy and prevent pulling contamination past the seals. The OEM system works very well to accomplish this.

The crankcase can be vented to atmosphere, but it can be messy without a system to condense and capture the oil vapor.

svcattle
04-27-2016, 00:09
Thanks for the reply I suppose there wasn't a lot of oil in there since I've owned the truck a year and I haven't checked the turbo untill now I think I will make longer tube from the breather cdr ? To the ground unless that's a bad idea this truck is a 96 k2500

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2016, 06:19
Yeah, that's a bad idea. The CDR is a spring-loaded vacuum-limiting valve. It prevents the intake from pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase, so serves no purpose with a draft tube. If you modify the OEM plumbing so it doesn't route to the intake, you will need some system of capturing the oil vapor, or it will just make a mess wherever it exits (oil spots on someone's driveway). If you go through the trouble of installing a vapor condenser, there's no reason to not route it back to the intake, in any case.

svcattle
04-28-2016, 00:11
I do not care about the oil because she lives on the farm on a gravel driveway but if it's bad for the engine I will just hook it back up . There must not be much oil there as the truck runs good and doesn't smoke .
Thanks for the info you have given me so far

Robyn
04-28-2016, 08:18
The CDR system was designed to keep a slight negative pressure in the crank case.

This not only captures any combustion blow by, but also keeps oil from being blown past the seals and gaskets in the engine.

It is a good thing.

I have seen even nearly new rigs with a fairly sloppy turbo inlet.

When things are real good the inlet should be almost dry.

JeepSJ
04-29-2016, 12:32
I'll give first hand experience that the draft tubes just cause a mess. Everywhere. Not just leaking on a driveway, but it does a great job of rustproofing the entire underbody of your vehicle.

Someone here posted up a home grown oil separator to keep the oil vapors out of the intake. It used a $20 fertilizer sprayer filter from Tractor Supply Co. I'll be using that setup when I get things put back together.

svcattle
05-01-2016, 02:31
I'll give first hand experience that the draft tubes just cause a mess. Everywhere. Not just leaking on a driveway, but it does a great job of rustproofing the entire underbody of your vehicle.

Someone here posted up a home grown oil separator to keep the oil vapors out of the intake. It used a $20 fertilizer sprayer filter from Tractor Supply Co. I'll be using that setup when I get things put back together.

Where do i find that post?

JeepSJ
05-02-2016, 15:31
Where do i find that post?

The search function is your best friend.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43763&highlight=tractor+supply

svcattle
05-02-2016, 23:58
The search function is your best friend.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43763&highlight=tractor+supply

Thanks for the link search hates me ! I think I will building one of these