PDA

View Full Version : 30 AMP Fuse

TDSECK
03-17-2016, 09:24
I had a good quality alarm and remote start system installed in my Suburban in 2012
At first the shop wanted to put in a preset time for the glow plug warm up duration.
I said no way, i want it wired so that it will only start after the glow plug indicator light for starting comes on.
They did wire it that way and for extra $ and it does start fine on very cold days.
So my question is, recently the 30 amp fuse for this system blew out causing the alarm/remote system to stop working.
When i took it to the shop they said it could be the heater blower fan could be going bad causing the 30 amp fuse to blow out. I never set the fan speed on high alway 1st or 2nd speed because it takes a lonf time to get heat anway, I then asked them if the glow plugs where running off this fuse. They said no.
My front and rear blower fan motors seem to run fine, is there a way I can check to make sure? Or any other way to see what else might be drawing enough current to blow a 30 amp fuse?
I want to know how many amps do the glow plugs draw? And is there a heavy duty relay that is engaged when they are working (like the starter motor) or would they draw current through a remote start system like i have?
I am trying to find out so if in fact they did wire the glow plugs through this 30 amp fuse and it is causing it to blow on very cold days i don't think i should have to pay to have it corrected!
My Sub is in very good shape for a 1999, i did find a shorted out tail light assembly that was causing the tail light fuse to blow when i was towing a car trailer to Maine, i replace that and corrected that issue.
Any help is always welcome, this is a great resource for my 6.5 Sub!

DmaxMaverick
03-17-2016, 09:49
The 8 glow plugs will draw in excess of 100 amps, so that's not the problem. The glow plug controller (relay) will normally draw less than 10 amps. The fans/blowers can be an issue, but you'll have to test them with an ammeter while they are running, if they seem to be running normal. Without seeing a diagram of how they wired it, there's really no way of knowing exactly what's happening.

Fuses, relays and switches can, and do, weaken over time and use. If it's only blown one fuse, I'd replace it. Perhaps with a slow-trip circuit breaker of the same amperage (which should have been in the original plan, IMO).