PDA

View Full Version : Shakes bad

svcattle
03-14-2016, 19:28
Ok I've developed a really bad shake in the front end any suggestions on how to check cv axles and wheel bearings

Dvldog8793
03-15-2016, 04:09
Howdy
In my experience, a "shake" is normally wheels/tire related.
A "vibration" is more of a component issue.
What speed is the noise/feeling present?
When I have had a wheels bearings or CVs go out it was always a growl/vibration at speed and not much noticeable at low speed.
For the sealed bearing front ends it can be difficult to diagnose without removing, especially if it is just starting to go.

a5150nut
03-15-2016, 17:37
Common to these trucks is the pitman arm and idler link getting sloppy. Have you checked them yet?

svcattle
03-15-2016, 21:04
The shakes come about 40 and then stays no matter what speed I'll have to jack it up and see it . is very violent bout tries to take the steering wheel out of my hand . It doesn't always do it just sometimes

svcattle
03-17-2016, 22:39
Here's a link to a video I shot hopefully it works

http://youtu.be/mU6sRfIBjf0

Dvldog8793
03-18-2016, 04:43
Howdy
My first impression would be a tire issue.
I would take it in and get the tires balanced and see if that tells you anything.
Or have a friend drive down the road in another vehicle and see if they can see where it is coming from.
I have a 1989 truck that has almost the exact same problem, it is a visible tire carcass separation. Scrap yard is next for that rig....
IMHO, shaking that violent would need some mass to make it happen. I think it is something large that is causing it. I have experienced just about every type of driveline component failure while driving and the only thing close to yours would be a tire separation, meaning an internal construction failure, not a full on blow out.(yet)
It's possible that a pitman, idler arm or ball joint is loose enough to cause the wheel assembly to wobble like that but I would think if it was, it be gone already and have left you stranded.
I had a truck with a shortened drive shaft and that would occasionally give a severe shudder in the mid-line carrier bearing. if your truck has a two piece driveshaft, that might be something to check also.
Personally, whatever it is, I would not drive the vehicle at speed until I fixed it.
Good Luck!

Aftermath
03-18-2016, 17:03
Looks like a bad tire or caked up mud/dirt/trash lodged in a wheel. Have you had it in the mud lately? Probably a tire with a broken belt about to explode. Look it over real good, should be obvious. Don't drive it until you fix it. Is it pulling to one side?

a5150nut
03-18-2016, 18:28
Rotate tires front to back and see if the vibration moves with it.

CoyleJR
03-18-2016, 19:49
Tires would be my first guess. I would also look for a loose steering box or a cracked frame at the steering box. To check the steering box and frame open the hood and have someone move the steering wheel and watch the steering box from above. If the box is loose or the frame is cracked it will be obvious. Let us know what you find.
Good luck
John

svcattle
03-18-2016, 20:38
Thanks for all the replies guys . It does not pull either direction and it only shows up after driving for about 30 minutes . I will swap some tires around and see what I can come up with

Dvldog8793
03-19-2016, 05:15
Howdy
It only shows up after 30 minutes of driving and at 30+MPH would indicate a bad tire.
The drive time allows the rubber to get warm and loose making the vibration worse.
IMHO you have a blown belt in one of your tires. May or may not be visible. Rotation or a balancing machine will verify. If this turns out to be the case, and all the tires were purchased at the same time...and they are getting up there in age....I would suspect all the other tires as well.
Good luck

Robyn
03-19-2016, 07:51
After watching the video my feeling is a tire with a broken belt.

Looked like the entire dash was about to jump off on the floor.

svcattle
03-19-2016, 15:48
Thanks for all the replies guys I've got some extra tires I'm going to throw em on and see what happens : I had a tire do that on my dodge and it blew sending me across 4 lanes of traffic at 70 mph and I hit a cement barrier

svcattle
03-20-2016, 23:03
Well thanks for the info guys I swapped some tires on the front for some spares I had already mounted and the shake is gone I think