PDA

View Full Version : Signal lights....

Phil Holmen
11-05-2003, 15:03
When I have my park lights turned on the left signal light speeds up. If I shut the park lights off it returns to normal speed. The right signal is not affected. I have replaced all lights on the left side and the flasher also... Any Ideas...??

panchosteam
11-05-2003, 15:31
Hi phil:
Make sure you have the right bulbs for each corner,that is some thing that could be causing that kind of problem. take them of and inspect that they are the same look at the socket and inspect how many points or contacts on the socket then match the light bulbs that should help

DmaxMaverick
11-05-2003, 15:39
If you check out OK as Pancho advises (good advice), read on....

Faster flashing indicates an overload on the circuit. This could be from a ground short, dirty connectors (conductive grime), or water soaked connetions. Could also be a failing headlamp switch or reostat (instrument panel dimmer). I would suggest duplicating the problem, and while it is flashing fast, remove one bulb at a time until the flashing is normal. That will indicate which circuit is suspect. You can then chase the wiring from there. If non of the bulbs change the condition and all the grounds are good, then the problem is likely the switch. These things are a PITA, and never really seam to go away once they show up.

I had the same problem with my '95, only on the right side. Turned out to be wiring to the right rear brake light had chafed where it entered the box containing the light. This is a utility bed, so an OEM box would be different. It is common for the headlamp switches to fail. You could just replace it with a known good one and eliminate that right off.

Good luck.

JohnC
11-05-2003, 17:51
Check the ground connections for the effected side, both front and rear. If one of them has extra resistance, the parking light will pull the ground up reducing the flow of current through the flasher. The flasher sees this decrease as a burnt out bulb and signals the conditon by the faster flash rate.

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2003, 20:20
Yes, it could be an overload, or an inadequate ground, or just a bad connection at the bulb which is trying to signal.

gmctd
11-06-2003, 10:15
My failure was right front park - lost solid ground connection thru socket to bulb case because solder-plated steel was lightly rusting.
Same type-failure JohnC detailed, above.
Very small wire brush and EP chssis lube did the trick.