PDA

View Full Version : 1993 6.2 turbo upgrade

Kottonwood
03-10-2016, 08:35
Hello all,
I have a 1993 chevy k1500 with a 6.2 that I am restoring. I want to put a turbo on it as well. I can buy a used banks system available right now but I am also wondering if I could put a 6.5 turbo on there. I know with the older models it is a hard conversion but is it possible with the late models? Also I have searched but haven't found anything, if anyone knows of a thread where someone has done this could you point me in that direction. Thanks very much for any responses!!!

Robyn
03-11-2016, 08:18
Welcome to TDP

The 6.5 components off a 6.5 will fit your rig.

The GMT 400 trucks are all pretty much the same.

Using the 6.5 stock stuff on an older square body truck gets a bit more difficult.

Keep your fueling reasonable and the boost at no more than 10 psi

Install a boost and pyro gauge set.

Max Exhaust temp just below the RH manifold in the xover pipe should not exceed 1000 F

Pre turbo is the best place for the temp probe to be installed.

An early 6.5 turbo set up from a GM would be sweet.

The Bank stuff is good as well.

Good luck

Dvldog8793
03-11-2016, 16:25
Howdy
If you get a used 6.5 system, make sure to check the turbo exhaust manifold REAL good.
Broken bolts thinning cast and damaged flange can be an issue.
Good luck!

Kottonwood
03-12-2016, 07:20
cool, thanks for the great advice! I am going to start looking for parts. I will let you know how it turns out.

Robyn
03-13-2016, 07:16
The destination is not important, its the journey that's the fun part. :)

Always fun scrounging for parts :D

Kottonwood
03-13-2016, 15:03
Wow, it is so great that this is going to work out. It looks like I can get most of the parts I need NEW for about the same price I was gonna pay for the used banks system. I am waiting on a transmission rebuild right now (will be done next week) then I am gonna tear into this engine a bit and see if it needs a rebuild to. I am hoping I can save some cash by not rebuilding the motor, then I will use mostly new parts for the turbo, at least I will go with a reman turbo and new manifolds.

The engine runs but starts reallly rough and and has very little power. I am really hoping it turns out to be something like vacuum leaks or air in the fuel that is causing it, this is my suspicion as it is a pretty low mile motor. Then I just gotta fix some oil leaks and bolt that turbo on. This is going to be a great project. After that will be a veggie oil conversion, which I already built the tank for and have many of the parts. Fingers crossed that I have solid compression!

joeq
03-14-2016, 13:18
Sounds like a cool up-grade KW. How bout some before and after pix?:)