PDA

View Full Version : IDLE SPEED

panchosteam
11-05-2003, 07:10
Hi guys:
Does any body know the idle speed for the 6.5 td, i got my engine to start but it might be out of timing,smokes wite and where would be a better place to install the phyrometer sensor, at the cross over or the exhaust from the turbo any help will be appreciated .
Thank you .

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC 3/4 TON PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD ENGINE

turbovair
11-05-2003, 11:36
Idle speed on my 96:
700 cold start
650 warm,in drive

White smoke is "generally" unburned diesel fuel

My pyrometer(pre turbo) is a clamp on style in the crossover, two inches below the drivers side exhaust manifold.

panchosteam
11-05-2003, 15:47
Thank you turbovair, i probably have the same engine as you have, only diference is that it's on a 84 pick up with out the electronic injection pump, i went with the mechanical pump on mine,i guess i will set it between the 650 and 700, because i dont have the cold idle solenoid,my old one was on a bracket holding the vacuum for the cruise control and the throttle cable, because of the water inlet from the radiator been on the way for this bracket i'm not able to mount this bracket any more off course unless i buy a different cross over pipe for the thermostat but that might be later, thank you for the info. Do you know any thing about the alternator on my old truck and the one on this engine? the wiring on my truck has a red 16 gauge wire and a 18 brown, and the alternator on the 6.5 has a white 18 gauge and a brown 18 ga. What do you think,brown to brown, red to wht.?
thank you .

1984 sierra classic pick up 3/4 ton
now with 6.5 td out off a 96 sierra pick up.

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2003, 20:04
Pancho-try call an 'auto electric' rebuilder to see about the alternator.

turbovair
11-05-2003, 23:51
I think you are OK... red to brown, white to white.

panchosteam
11-06-2003, 10:10
Thank you guys, i'm hopping that today i get to test drive this thing and i hope that it will be fine after detecting a non working injector yesterday i will put a nother one in today and see what happens i'll keep you guys posted.
Thank you again.

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC 3/4 TON PICK UP NOW WITH A 1996 6.5 TD ENGINE