PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

silvdur
01-19-2016, 19:47
What is the difference between Bilsteins : Monroes?
They both seem to have 1 3/8" cylinders and gas charges plus pricing is approx $100.00 more.
My factory shocks ride like a brick....

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2016, 21:47
German craftsmanship vs. Chinese. You be the judge.

They both have warranties. You'll use the Monroe warranty. Bilstein bushings last longer than the Monroe shocks, in my experience. A call to Bilstein CS and new bushings are in the mail. Bilstein bushing replacement is no simple task, though. 150K of heavy use (towing, off road, "truck" use) and they're just as pressurized as they were new. Monroe R/R is a piece of cake (no pressure to deal with). Rancho are better than Monroe, but still made left of the left coast.

Kennedy
01-20-2016, 12:37
I've been using and selling the Bilsteins for 15+ yrs now and wouldn't have it any other way. Bilstein is a high pressure mono tube design, but if you think your OE shocks "ride like a brick" you'll probably think the Bilsteins ride like a ton of bricks. I've always said that 98 out of 100 will say that the Bilsteins are awesome. 1.5 out of 100 say eh so-so, and .5 of 100 will say that they ride like crap. The .5 is nuts IMHO.

Bilstein is a control shock. Good HD relatively firm ride that keeps the wheels on the ground and the chassis from pitching and yawing all over. The OE shocks are loose as a goose and let the wheels flop easily.

jbplock
01-20-2016, 17:50
... I've always said that 98 out of 100 will say that the Bilsteins are awesome...

Dittos ... I'm one of the 98 .. I bought a set of Bilsteins from John for my 03 shortly after I purchased it new in October 02.. The Bilsteins yielded a drastic improvement in ride and handling that is still there today after another 113k miles.. :)

duke22
03-14-2016, 02:17
Better ride quality and longevity are just some advantages of using Bilstein shocks.

Hillbilly Jim
03-19-2016, 10:46
My 2001 is riding on the Bilsteins I installed in Jan of 01. Would not have any other shock.