PDA

View Full Version : Help needed please... Which one..? How to...? Cooling repair/mod?

JKlein
01-07-2016, 07:03
I realize this question has been asked many, many times. However, I have searched and looked in tech tips and I am still trying to decide what to do as it relates to a cooling “upgrade” for my 96 GMC K3500 6.5 with 201K miles. It is a manual and a dually with a Utility bed that has about 600lbs of tools and soon a welder and compressor will be mounted adding more weight.
I use the truck for my part time job repairing boats on-site and doing other mechanic jobs etc. I don’t have a need for the 4X4 that often, but it is good to know it is there. I live in AL and we have HOT summers and mild winters. I tow a boat and about three times a year we fill the bed up with gravel for our driveway.
So I have the truck in my garage and I am beginning to tear it down for the 200K maintenance (injectors, glow plugs, new battery/starter/ground cables, new cooling system, hoses, belt, ac repair etc.…). That has led me to the search for which cooling mod I should go with. I have narrowed it down to:
- Kennedy Diesel dual thermostat 190 degree thermostats with his clutch ad either the 20” steel fan or the 21” plastic fan he sells
- Heath Diesel’s single thermostat cooling mod with water pump and new stat with fan/clutch combo
- SS Diesel Supply dual thermostat mod with “heavy duty” fan and clutch
I have budgeted around $600 - $700 for the cooling system. I will be pulling the radiator and getting it dipped and cleaned etc. I have also wondered if I can do this all myself by sourcing the parts through either the above vendors (say the water pump from Kennedy) and then get the fan and clutch from _______ (fill in the blank).
The truck has its OEM single stat and has never run “hot” on me yet. I have not owned it with the AC working though – so I don’t know how much that will affect the cooling capacity.
Any thoughts or options is appreciated.
Thank you,

~GOD BLESS~

john

john8662
01-07-2016, 08:46
This is easy.

You have a 1996. You only need 3 components to get great cooling on your 1996 that's single-stat equipped.

The Dual Stat Crossover with correct AC Delco or Robertshaw stats (balanced sleeve design only).

The HO Water Pump, which can be bought at Kennedy or your local auto parts store as long as you specify a 1997 6.5TD.

The Fan and Fan clutch. Get this from Kennedy Hands down. His clutch is the ONLY one on the market has a lower engagement temperature which was what these trucks needed in the first place. Your AC will work much better in the summer as a result. This is BEST paired with the Metal Fan, the Duramax Fan is too big and will require trimming of the shroud and even then with wearing engine mounts will hit. The Factory increased blade fan is what you want to replace your 6-blade fan now.

DieselDavy
01-07-2016, 09:22
+1 "What John Said"
Call Kennedy Diesel and let John hook you up.
He "da man"!
Dave

JKlein
01-07-2016, 10:31
So it sounds like the dual stat set up from Kenedy with the proper 190 stats and his clutch. My question is when you say the "...The Factory increased blade fan.." Is that the metal fan that John sells?

Thank you for your help.

~GOD BLESS~

john

Dvldog8793
01-07-2016, 10:50
....don't forget the HO water pump....

JKlein
01-07-2016, 13:12
Do I already have the right fan? I am at work and can not go to the truck to count fins etc, however, I know I have a metal fan on the truck now. Is the one that Kenedy sells different?

Thank you

~GOD BLESS~

john

john8662
01-07-2016, 14:56
It's a 9 Blade Metal fan that he sells to replace your factory 6-blade fan. The 9-blade fan didn't get put into production until the late 1996's that had the Dual Stats (were a pair, blade and stats). This continued throughout production from then on.

JKlein
01-08-2016, 08:41
OK - Thank you. I looked last night and I have the 6 blade metal fan.

When I called Kenedy Diesel a week or so ago he said he had only one metal fan left in stock.

If he is sold out can I purchase it, the fan 9 blade metal, elsewhere?

If so where would you reccomend?

Thank you,

john

~GOD BLESS~

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2016, 10:03
The fans aren't rare. You can get one at a wrecking yard or almost any parts store, including a GM dealer. Make sure it's OEM branded. I haven't seen an aftermarket brand that's the same, or performs as well.

JKlein
01-08-2016, 12:17
I loked over the options of trying to piece together the dual stat set up with parts from Kennedy etc.. I also posted this same question on another forum and got the "Single Stat" is the best way to go speach.

So after considering what I plan on doing to the truck I called Kennedy Diesel today and purchased his HO Water pump with dual 190 degree stats, his fan clutch and the metal fan.

I'll get what ever hoses that do not come with the kit replaced and I beleive my coolant recovery tank is cracked so that will need replacing. Will flush and clean the block and heater core. I will also clean the rad. fins and inside etc.

I already have my new dually wheel spacers (2") and new Power Master starter that arrived last week. :D

Other plans include:
- Replace injectors with quality rebuilt units from Central Plains Diesel
- New Duratherm glow plugs
- New oil cooler lines and block fittings
- Replace ALL the battery and ground cables with 1/0 guage welding cable
- Sell a rifle to raise funds for a 4" exhaust turbo back and a 2.5" crossover pipe
- I have a generic , new not remain, turbo I bought for a 97 Suburban that I had that has been in a box and wil get that installed
- New oil feed line for the Turbo
- A new Vacum pump
- Already installed a new vacum harness and vacum solenoid/relay
- Need a new serp. belt & tensioner
- Will inspect the Harmonic balancer
- Will inspect the glow plug harness and replace/repair as needed
- New glow plug relay/controller
- Planning on a new OPS
- New lift pump (an AC Delco unit I bought awhile back)
- Seems like something else I can't remember right now

I am sure I will have some questions. I will post when I do and will post when I am through.

I did buy the books from here for reference. 36+ years wrenching on gasers. Only about 2 1/2 years with Diesels.

I appreciate all the help.

~GOD BLESS~

john

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2016, 12:35
Your list looks good, except for the "Sell a rifle (blah-blah)" part. Never trade one necessity for another, IM(not-so-H)O. Any rifle worth enough to make a difference is worth keeping. Surely you have other things you can sell. Better yet, sell a bunch of other stuff to buy your exhaust system, and another rifle!

sctrailrider
01-08-2016, 12:40
I saw your thread on that other site...

Most everyone has a opinion, what works good for me won't be as the other guy likes it...

Me, the single worked great, but I haven't swapped a dual over to see what it does either so it's good ya went with Kennedy as he has done a lot of testing in the area...

sctrailrider
01-08-2016, 12:42
What kind of long gun ????:D

JKlein
01-15-2016, 10:13
My son and I used to participate in air rifle shooting competitions. Not your red rider or Daisy BB guns mind you. So I have several .22 cal competition guns that I no longer use and while I "hate" to sell it I don't use it that much anymore. But tax refund is around the corner so I may wait and see what that brings in terms of $$ before selling it. I have owned the carbine for almost 13 years and always kept it maintained and stored in a case etc... Shoots like a dream.

As for the list of things I want to do I am glad to hear that it sounds like the right way to go. Just looking to get some more miles out of the truck and get it out again.

I broke my back in an auto accident shortly after putting the 3500 in my basement and taking the front end off. So I am glad to be able to start working on it again.

I also had all my items from Kennedy show up and everything looks good. Hope to start tearing down within next two weeks.

Thank you all,

john

~GOD BLESS~

Big Green
01-18-2016, 08:25
Your injectors and glow plugs are also good items to source from John Kennedy. While I was buying from him I'd pick up the OPS relay set up that he sells, It take the electrical load off the OPS and then you'll also have a push button for purging the air from your filter when you change fuel filters. I also noticed it runs when the key is on so you don't have the 2 second run then off during starting. This made my truck start much better.

Big Green

JKlein
01-18-2016, 11:55
I appreciate the information. I did not know that about the OPS relay he sells - I will look into that as on option.

I have already bought the injectors. I went with rebuilt untis from Central Plains Diesel.

I bought the Bosch Duraterm Glow Plugs from Advance on-line. Rcvd email that they are on the front porch now - looking forward to getting home. :D

So now it is time to get into the plan for how to begin the teardown and what to replace first etc... I will do some thinking on that one and may post a different thread asking about what order to do the job.

At this point I have removed the pushbumper, grill and its body piece, lights and tow hooks. Not much done before I broke my back. I am fortunate to have it inside so it has been sitting since August (before I had my car accident) and I am itching to get started back on it again.

I appreciate the help and the advice.

~GOD BLESS~

john