PDA

View Full Version : K5 Electric window

Subzilla
11-17-2015, 13:41
Just discovered the passenger power window is not moving down or up on the 86 K5. The driver's side switch nor the passenger switch will operate it. Driver's side window works normally. Before I tear off the door panel and check the motor and connection, I just want to be sure there aren't any hidden separate fuses or relays I should check first. There is only one fuse for both windows, right??

DmaxMaverick
11-17-2015, 14:27
There is no fuse that will allow only one to work. The only thing that prevents the window from working like you see, is the regulator, connector(s) and/or the harness. Some later models were driver-side dependent (passenger side doesn't work if the driver side switch was bad), but not for the mid-80's. I have diagram scans for '85 I can email, if you need them. They should be the same.

Dvldog8793
11-17-2015, 20:38
Howdy
If you haven't done it already....just for S&G...
From the inside, hold the switch on and slowly open and close the door.
Sometimes the wire harness will crack and give an intermittent problem, but it allows you to determine that it is the harness.
If the window moves at all when you do this it is the harness.
Every time I have to lean over to roll down my crank windows I wish they were electric...until I hear of someone having a problem like yours.;)
Good luck!

Subzilla
11-19-2015, 11:12
Drive it last night, and it now works fine. It either was my imagination or there is something loose or cracked in the wiring or connection. I will see how long it works for now. Thanks!

Dvldog8793
11-19-2015, 13:30
Sounds like a cracked wire in the harness. Most likely were it flexes when the door opens or closes.
Probably wont go away for long....

Subzilla
11-19-2015, 13:43
Oh, I know!:o And it will probably quit working as we are heading into a rain shower with the windows down:eek:.

Will check it out as soon as schedule permits.

N9Phil
11-20-2015, 05:48
OK this might be a long shot but on my 95 there is a switch on the drivers door between the front window switches and the remote mirror switches. If this switch is off it will disable the riders side window control.

Phil