PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Luck

Slippery Smitt
11-15-2015, 08:36
With this truck (same one as in flucuating Temps) if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any! Hauled another load of wood, went to dump it the next morning truck started fine, then died like out of fuel. Got it going again, idled rough as could be, dumped the load and thought this better not be the new PMD. Then it died like out of fuel, opened the bleeder and sure enough air. Ended up being bad OPS & weak lift pump. So I decide I'm just going to let this thing idle for a while and see what else goes wrong. Da da, after doing this 3 nights about an hour to hour and half each time, I would come out and check the gages and underneath every 10-15 minutes everything fine until the last time. Noticed some dripping, what now I'm thinking, couldn't tell much with a light. The next day crawl under and it appears to be a small freeze plug (about 3/8-7/16) on the left rear boss on the block. Never heard/saw one being in this area? Anyone else a more fimilar know if this is the case or am I seeing things? Appears you'd have to cut a hole in the floor boards to fix it without yanking the engine or cab?

Thanks
Smitty

94 GMC 3500 6.5 TD

john8662
11-16-2015, 09:54
what kind of fluid?

Take a picture of this area you're talking about. Doesn't sound familiar to me.

phantom309
11-17-2015, 17:14
I would check what fluid,. as was said,..

These engines can leak from a bottom injector line on the pump, or the return line etc,. down in the valley between the heads,. the fuel then rolls back to above the bellhousing and then drips down ,. it can migrate in any direction,..

I had a block off plate weeping on the back of one of the heads,. because i,m the only guy i know of that sometimes forgets to tighten a bolt up here and there,..i never hear of anybody else doing this,.:D
Anyway coolant was ending up on the ground,. and it took a while to find from where,..

Slippery Smitt
12-17-2015, 09:38
An update, sorry took so long, been busy. I cleaned the area off I described and then put the pressure tester on it. Bled down to 14# and had 3 spots on the cardboard. 2 were from the only 2 squeze clamps I didn't change on the rad (put gear clamps on) and one in the back. Cleaned everything again no leaks on cardboard, but some on the rear of the block, weird. I did take a pic, but was at the dealer prior to being on here, seems there's a roll pin back there? For what I wonder? Thats where the leak appeared to be from. Anyways, put some bars leak init and so far so good, knock on wood (hitting self on head.)

Heres one of my original problems I've had since the beginning. I have no power to the wastegate solenoid. I talked to John K and he thought it might be the chip, so I got one of his performance chips, still no power, so new computer, still no power, so a mechanical controller from John went on. He said he preferrs to control it with the chip/computer versus a mechanical controler, which makes sense. He pointed me to this sight (glad he did with all the other problems that came up since this one) when I asked about a wiring diagram or which pin controls the solenoid. I'm thinking I have a broken wire, but would like to test at the comp first. I always like to have something to look at prior to testing at the comp as sometimes my eyes and colors don't agree. I've looked around and haven't been able to come up with anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Smitty

john8662
12-23-2015, 12:47
There are only two wires on that solenoid. A 12v and a ground. The ground goes to the ECM. I'd recommend testing for voltage with a VOM.

Yellow Wire is PCM, the Green Wire (or other color) is 12V