PDA

View Full Version : How do I bring my 1985 6.2L GMC out of Hibernation...?

jpgreen
10-28-2015, 07:48

My 1985 GMC 4x4 has been setting since 2007.

Reason is I had inherited a newer truck, and I just parked it. Any tips on getting it fired up would be appreciated.

It has a turbo 400 trans, I had Diesel Depot build a heavy duty engine with girdle, gear drive, Best cylinder block casting, and other special items that slip my mind at the moment.

Followed most all the upgrades suggested by the Diesel Pages Manuals. Have a Fluid Amper Harmonic balancer, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Gear Vendor Over/under drive. 411 gearing. Gages. Racor fuel filter. Just put a ton of money in it, then only drove it about 30,000 miles after all that.

So I remember it not starting a few weeks for some reason right after I parked it, and I would like to get it going and sell it.

Should the fuel system or tanks be drained?

Any suggestions?

trbankii
10-28-2015, 08:02
I’d definitely drain the tanks and lines - eight years is a lot of time for all sorts of nasties to build up. Put in some fresh batteries; change the oil, transmission fluid, gear oil in the diffs, coolant, and brake fluid; fresh oil, fuel, and air filters; and go over the fuel and electrical systems.