PDA

View Full Version : 0w40 for the 6.5?

phantom309
10-24-2015, 07:55
We have some bulk 0w40 at work, it's for the crappy 6.0 ford service trucks,.

I was thinking of running it in my old 94 6.5,. she's getting well used these days,. and is approaching well used health too,.:D

The same 94 that running a 5068 pump first on a 5521 chip (which was always said couldn't be done,. now on a chip tuned to my specs,.

The chip is easier on fuel delivery on anything less than 75% TPS input,. and with much better shift points etc,.but can really roll the coal at higher TPS inputs,. i would like to add the bigger turbo,. but with the 3:42's rpm is never over 2000 rpm for very long,. along with earlier lockup,.it's improved my fuel mileage, adding 50 miles to a tank,. if I drive easy what a huge difference its' made ,Added benefit has been the long glow plug times with good wiring and new gp's it's made a big difference,.

I,m concerned a little tho, as this motor has always run 15w40 or 10w30 dinosaur oil,..some brands it really doesn't like and eats more oil, leaks more oil, and has stinky-er blow by,
.she really likes mobile 1 15w40 or rotella T

Any one else running full synthetic?

some feedback would be good ,.

It gets chilly here just north of toronto,.

Thanks

a5150nut
10-24-2015, 08:11
My 94 I had ran well on 15/40 Rottela tried Delo a a few times but it burned or leaked more and had to add before next oil change.

svcattle
10-24-2015, 10:08
Running 5w 40 shell right now it burned a little more at first but it has settled in to a quart every 1500 miles just like when she was on 15 40

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2015, 11:11
If it's a Diesel rated oil (as it should be, for the 6.0), it won't cause damage. That isn't to say it may not be ideal. I'd try it. I've used (full/true) synthetics exclusively in all my light Diesels since about 1988, 0W-40, 5W-40, 15W-40, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, mostly Amsoil, Mobil1 and occasional LE and Castrol (OLD Castrol, not the recent junk). If there was a difference in performance/consumption, it was more a matter of the brand than the viscosity. Considering your location, 0W-40 synthetic would be ideal for winter.

jrsavoie
10-31-2015, 05:39
I have run nothing but Amsoil 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil in all of our 6.5's since the 90's.

In my experience, the vehicles that have been run on synthetics their whole life are fairing better than the vehicles that were run on dino oil their whole life.

convert2diesel
10-31-2015, 10:22
Nick:

I have to agree with Dmax in that it has to do with brand. Just acquired a diesel Smartcar and their recommendations are brand specific:

Mobile 1 0W-40
Quaker State 5W-30

Both full synthetics. Granted this was back in 05 so who knows it could have been that these were the only synthetics available at the time that met the diesel specs. They spec only synthetics, probably because of the engine tolerances.

I know the Smart diesel is little more than a lawnmower engine but short of the tolerances inside, they are exposed to the same conditions. Suggest giving it a try for a couple of fills and see. Can't see it doing any damage.

I have used 15-40 Rotella in all my diesels for years and don't have a complaint, but if you can get your oil for free what's the harm? If its good enough for a Ford it should be that much better in a real truck.

Bill

Beedee
11-01-2015, 10:44
I have run Esso 0w-40 in my truck for years.
Don't really need it on the west coast but I still run it, any thing to help the old girl out.

I did have the truck with me when I was up in Ft Mac. One chilly morning, about -35, the breaker for the block heater tripped.
I was amazed, the beast still turned over like it was on the coast.

The sounds it made when it flashed were another story:rolleyes:

I don't put many miles on the truck any more, 5 to 10 K a year, more on the lower end of the scale. It will sit there for a month between uses so I like that fact that the oil will get up to the top end just that tiny little bit faster.