PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Under Power

garysleeman
09-26-2015, 06:44
My Tahoe conversion was at the end of a 1500 mile trip towing a 1200 lbs boat when I over reved it going up a mountain on the interstate (down shifted from 3 to 2 at 60mph) and shortly thereafter I noticed a slight vibration and smoke. I was 100 miles from home and it made it back no problem. The motor is a 660 block from an 89 k1500 has 125k, I have been running this motor for 15 years, more motor info in my signature. I had just installed rebuilt injectors and new gaskets and seals. I suspected injectors and called the vendor who supplied and they recommending pulling off an injector line 1 at a time while the motor was running and that test was inconclusive, the motor ran rough with every injector disconnected. The injector pump was rebuilt 10 years ago.
I found a GEP short block and figured to swap all the bolt on parts from the 6.2 after I was done diagnosing but after a compressing check I haven't found anything conclusively wrong. Cold compression was 320-360 lbs. Now I a wondering if maybe the turbo has lost a seal and I have pulled the motor and purchased the GEP for a waste of time and money.
Any opinions?