PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5 K2500 - what transmission

slicer89
08-24-2015, 10:38
I have a 1993 GMC Sierra K2500 with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel, It has a 5 speed manual transmission - And I am wondering what one it has, or how I can tell which one it has. My current one has 301k+ on it and it is starting to fail (popping out of 1st gear, 3rd gear is making a popping noise, whining) I've checked my fluid level and it's fine, Changed it, No change.

trbankii
08-24-2015, 13:14
Should be the NV4500. Unlike an automatic transmission, the gear oil has less effect on operation - other than burning things out if you let it get too low (no lubrication). An automatic with low fluid will affect the hydraulic operation before it starts doing damage.

You’re likely looking at worn or damaged syncro rings, hubs, and/or sliders that is causing it to pop out of gear.

The NV4500 tends to be in high demand, so finding used ones that won’t cost you an arm and a leg are likely rare. Rebuilding it or swapping it for a rebuilt one and returning it as a core would likely be what you’re looking at depending on whether you have the downtime.

a5150nut
08-25-2015, 18:00
If you need parts or rebuilt to swap try http://drivetrain.com out of Las Vegas. Great guys and great service. I have used them quite a bit. Even get tech support from them on weekends.