PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaks

Phildo
08-22-2015, 17:05
Just noticed an oil leak at front of my 6.5 and another near the oil dipstick as per pics.

Being a non techno anyone suggest reasons/fixes for either please ?

Not sure if first one is behind harmonic balancer

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2015, 20:51
Front main and dipstick tube seal. Not really uncommon, but not likely for both to leak at the same time. Check your crankcase vent: make sure the CDR isn't blocked in any way (it should flow air very easily), and the hoses aren't kinked.

Phildo
08-23-2015, 04:21
Thanks dmax maverick

Phildo
08-23-2015, 14:11
DmaxMaverick - I recently had an issue where my K&N air filter had somehow blocked the air intake from my snorkel input to the K&N air filter box and later found out I was running negative boost thru my Garrett turbo (oil/water cooled).

As I am technically challenged I am wondering if this could be related inany way by affecting the air pressure required for the crankcase vent / CDR.

I have no idea so any help much appreciated.
p.s. I have just ordered a boost gauge and pyrometer gauge so I can monitor things.

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2015, 20:07
Actually, that would have an opposite affect. It would allow excess crankcase vacuum, via the engine intake. This would cause oil consumption through the combustion cycle (out the tailpipe), and lesser chance of outward leakage through the crank (and other external) oil seals. However, if the seals have been fouled or damaged from that event (an extreme), it would allow them to leak once that condition was corrected.