PDA

View Full Version : Installation of a Holset HX35W turbo?

Nacla
08-04-2015, 19:25
I've received a recommendation (from someone I trust) to consider installing a new Holset HX35W turbocharger on the new 6.5L Optimizer I'll be ordering soon.

Principles of turbo and wastegaste controller operation, I understand.
Trying to visualize the degree of difficulty involved in the installation, I cannot.

Questions:

I believe there are five aspects of the installation requiring modification; the oil supply line, the oil return line, the air inlet ducting, the exhaust down-pipe connection, and possibly some modification for wastegate control.

Is there something else I'm missing on this list of mods?

The oil lines seem line a minor challenge.

The air inlet may not be too difficult, I'm thinking.

What is involved in fabricating an exhaust adapter?
What materials are best suited for this?
Pray tell...is there an off-the-shelf adapter available yet?

Regarding the wastegate control system, is this a non-issue?

I believe Jim explained, in a past article, that the wastegate on a Holset turbo is controlled by means of 'boost' pressure.

(This was in contrast with factory GM [BorgWarner?] turbos, which utilize 'drive' pressure, to actuate the wastegate controller, IIRC.)

Engine Specifics: (if this is pertinent)

Compression ratio will be 20.2:1 (Per AMGeneral website engine specs.)
205 hp engine is my goal.

Will be parked in my daily driver: 1993 K3500 crewcab long bed, with 4L80E tranny, and 4.10 axles, rolling on LT245/75R16 tires.

Any enlightenment you could share?

Thanks!

phantom309
08-09-2015, 07:54
* crickets*

This forum is predominantly conservative 6.5 diesel owners,. they don't believe in modding a 6.5 for more performance around here,..:D

Try the other 'place';) there might be a 'race day mechanic' there who can help ;););)

Nacla
08-09-2015, 15:19
Well, maybe I did muddy the water, burying my primary question with too many words.

The primary question involves the HX-35 turbo exhaust outlet, which requires welding and/or custom fabrication to mate up with the exhaust pipe.

Is it better to modify a factory turbo exhaust part from GM? ...or from Holset?
What do you recommend?

Thanks!

trbankii
08-09-2015, 15:50
Without being familiar with the configuration of the Holset, it would be hard for me to comment on how best to match it up to the 6.5 pieces.

a5150nut
08-09-2015, 18:09
Maybe ask the moderator to move this to Conversion section or just re post it there.

phantom309
08-09-2015, 19:27
google 'racedaymechanic'
he makes a jig welded adapter for just this swap,..

Nacla
08-10-2015, 13:49
Thanks Phantom!

I was able to track down that guy's website, and he has kits with exhaust connection adapters, etc., for installing the Holset HX35 and the HX40 to a 6.5L.