PDA

View Full Version : waste gate

bohinc
07-29-2015, 15:26
'04 6.6l LB7. Waist gate is stuck closed. It runs and drives perfectly fine. Hauls great. Intake tubes are after market by what I can tell. Idk if who might of had the truck before me did something to the waist gate to keep it closed for some reason. I took the vacuum line off to see if it would move but still didn't. Im not sure if it matters all the much though.

Kennedy
07-30-2015, 06:14
The wastegate opens with pressure not vacuum. If you apply pressure via compressed air at the chamber it should open. Otherwise it will remain seated.

CA LB7 trucks had a throttle in the intake that I believe was vacuum controlled.

bohinc
07-30-2015, 09:54
The wastegate opens with pressure not vacuum. If you apply pressure via compressed air at the chamber it should open. Otherwise it will remain seated.

CA LB7 trucks had a throttle in the intake that I believe was vacuum controlled.

But shouldn't it still open if I try to move it manually?

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2015, 10:18
It's held tightly closed with spring tension. It takes quite a bit of force to move it by hand. It takes more than 20 PSI compressed air to begin to open it. If it runs well, has good power and isn't setting an overboost code under heavy load acceleration, it's not an issue.

More Power
08-05-2015, 13:05
Unbolt the wastegate actuator, then try moving the wastegate. They can stick closed if the vehicle sits for a time in a humid environment. A hammer tap usually fixes it.