PDA

View Full Version : New 6.2 guy with ?s

Ramblin82GMC
07-20-2015, 17:21
Hi, I got an 82 GMC with the 6.2 from my Grandfather a few years back. Low mileage truck, 28K. Parked since 1994. I have had it a few years but recently my son decided he wants it for his first car. So I have pulled it out and started working on it. I have ZERO experience with the 6.2 so will have lots of questions. The truck starts and runs good. But it has a leak from the IP. Not at the rear of the IP where the lines attach but more towards the front of the engine. I removed the air filter and got a better look but hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Diesel runs down the valley and out the back but also some runs down the front cover as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
07-20-2015, 17:48
Welcome aboard!

Since it's sat for so long, any number of seals may be leaking, any of the fluids. They'll all need addressing at some point.

The fuel leak is possibly (at least) the throttle shaft seal. It's not uncommon on high mileage pumps, and wouldn't be unusual for one that's sat for 20 years. Other possibilities are the rubber/steel fuel return lines that cross the valley from the front-most injectors. The injector return lines (that hop from injector to injector) meet at the front to a common return line, that Tee's into the return line from the top of the injection pump. If you've eliminated the steel injector lines at the rear of the pump, also check the rubber line at the center of the injector lines. This is the fuel supply line, although I don't see how it would leak fuel at the front of the valley. Being a rubber line, it will likely need replaced soon, anyway.

We have several members in your area, so it may not be too difficult to get some experienced eyes on the problem, if need be. I'm a bit of a stretch away, about 90 miles.

Ramblin82GMC
07-21-2015, 07:39
Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I have ruled out the rubber line that feeds the pump. But I do plan on changing every rubber line on the truck. I have a factory shop manual for the truck. Those things come in very handy. Looking through the manual it was not a big help in determining where the leak might be coming from. It looks like I will be pulling the intake manifold. Is there any seal in the IP that would require pulling the IP in order to replace the seal? Or can most or all be replaced with the pump in place? Or do you think I should just pull the pump and have it rebuilt? It seems to be doing the job as the truck runs well. I actually drove it around the house a few times when I first got the truck. It took a few days before it started to leak. The truck was well preserved as it was sitting in my Grandpa's barn all those years.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/AMC-Commando/GMC2_zps0ittalpm.jpg (http://s96.photobucket.com/user/AMC-Commando/media/GMC2_zps0ittalpm.jpg.html)

'86 Dooly
08-01-2015, 18:39
Where would I get one of these manuals? Have an 86 Dually I just bought and find the Chiltons manual vague at best/ Have minor electrical like Stuck on high beams. no dome light and the wiring diagram in chiltons doesn't match.

TrenchFoot
08-03-2015, 12:20
Where would I get one of these manuals? Have an 86 Dually I just bought and find the Chiltons manual vague at best/ Have minor electrical like Stuck on high beams. no dome light and the wiring diagram in chiltons doesn't match.

I picked up mine up on ebay. Looks like the digital version on CD is cheaper/more popular now.

Since I was more concerned about rebuilding the engine I also picked up the 'Unit Repair Manual'. The Unit Repair Manual covers specifics of repair and rebuilding every engine, tranny, and transfer case available on all trucks/vans/SUVs available that model year. If you're gonna rebuild an engine, there's no comparison: the Chilton's manual is more of a guide, the factory manual details every step.

TrenchFoot
08-03-2015, 12:26
Is there any seal in the IP that would require pulling the IP in order to replace the seal? Or can most or all be replaced with the pump in place? Or do you think I should just pull the pump and have it rebuilt?

I think I'd warm up to the idea of rebuilding the pump if I were you. I don't think there's much if anything that is 'field serviceable' on that pump. If it's leaking fuel, I'd get it repaired right the first time.

There's a lot of variation in rebuild prices. I personally feel this falls into the realm of "you get what you pay for". I went with Oregon Fuel Injection to rebuild mine because they are still a certified Stanadyne shop. They were more expensive than others, but I feel certain they are rebuilding to spec.

Ramblin82GMC
08-05-2015, 08:23

I found mine on Ebay. I prefer the actual book form, easier to have on your person at the truck.

Ramblin82GMC
08-05-2015, 08:25
I think I'd warm up to the idea of rebuilding the pump if I were you. I don't think there's much if anything that is 'field serviceable' on that pump. If it's leaking fuel, I'd get it repaired right the first time.

There's a lot of variation in rebuild prices. I personally feel this falls into the realm of "you get what you pay for". I went with Oregon Fuel Injection to rebuild mine because they are still a certified Stanadyne shop. They were more expensive than others, but I feel certain they are rebuilding to spec.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Just need to find a place to do it. Local would be nice.

Ramblin82GMC
08-06-2015, 10:22
What is the average price of getting an injection pump rebuilt? Locally here prices are nuts, guessing they don't want to do it. I get "eww, a 6.2?". 700 bucks average, found several on line for 350.

trbankii
08-06-2015, 11:00
I’m not sure what shipping would be, but Diesel Page Vendor Kennedy Diesel offers a remanufactured 6.2 IP for $550: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=27

I’m going to guess that even with shipping you’re going to be below $700.

TrenchFoot
08-06-2015, 12:17
Oregon Fuel Injection will run you about the same: $521

http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?pid=14#INJECTON_PUMP,_6.2L_&_6.5L

Ramblin82GMC
08-06-2015, 13:32
I may go that route, got another quote of 1200-1400. At that cost I think I'd get rid of the truck! I guess no one local wants to mess with it.

Subzilla
08-14-2015, 09:39
Email Tim Wagner at Accurate Diesel.....

Ramblin82GMC
09-03-2015, 08:44
Email Tim Wagner at Accurate Diesel.....

Where is he located?

Subzilla
09-03-2015, 09:40
Michigan accuratediesel.com